Audio description in the UK for the blind

Hi,

I'm blind and loving the channels app on the Apple TV. It's wonderful to have everything all in one place and for it to be mostly accessible.

One request is for audio description to work in the UK. As I understand it there is a broadcast of a separate description audio stream that has to be combined with the main audio stream, rather than having a complete separate soundtrack with both the AD and soundtrack mixed together.

Could you please do this as it would make the setup perfect. Currently, to watch anything with audio description I have to switch out to my tv which kinda defeats the object of the HDHomerun and channels setup.

Thank you.

O

Hi,

I would purchase a Channels subscription now if it weren't the fact for the lack of UK-based Audio Description support. None of the apps supported by the HD HomeRun support UK based audio description which means the devices are unusable for blind or partially sighted people in the UK at present. I was really hoping that with an accessible interface like the one Channels provides plus audio description I could start recommending it as a killer PVR solution for other blind friends.

Andrew.

If it works the same way as in Australia, perhaps the thread link below will help.
Support was added in the Channels app for AppleTV in version 3.2.44

Turning off Descriptive Video Service turns off all Audio

UK audio descriptions are not currently supported. It requires some big technical changes in our player to be able to handle playing two audio tracks at the same time (which is what is required for UK).

Ouch!
So their receivers/set top boxes have to mix audio tracks and handle attenuation/sync and volume leveling just to do that?
Seems like an overly complicated solution.

Regarding the complexity, the idea is that one can split the audio description off to another device, EG, headphones whilst other people watch without audio description. it's a feature that, to my knowledge, has never been used.

Regarding this situation, I really can't believe it's incermountable. It is a vital aspect to TV watching for the blind. Accessibility to such service is essential. Considering I have the Quatro, surely it is possible to blend a track from another tuner? considering the developer is fast to tout accessibility, I think it's pretty poor that this still hasn't been resolved. Without this function, TV player is a cheaper solution with the same results.

I realise that we, as blind customers, are a minority but, I'd like the developers to try and put themselves in our shoes for a moment. This is incredibly frustrating and excuses of it being hard are really not good enough. We spend our lives finding a way to do things, I expect nothing less from others. All I'm reading here is that the developers can't be bothered for such a few number of people, which is the definition of exclusion.

Now, I hope to see, forgive the pun, some movement on this. The coverage alone by the RNIB and other advocates of accessibility in the UK, would make it worth it.

Thank you.