Audio stuck in Dolby 5.1 mode

I noticed since I moved to 5.7.4 that all audio coming from my ATV has the Dolby 5.1 flag even though the info says the source is only 2.0 stereo. This is tricking my sound system to think there is surround sound when there isn't.

I confirmed the ATV is functioning properly by using other apps that have only stereo audio, or no Dolby.

It sounds like your Apple TV settings are set to force the output to dolby digital 5.1

Settings > Video & Audio > Audio Format

Set Change Format to Off.

That is the settings I am using. As I said, no other app is showing this issue. If I quit Channels, restart it and go directly to a Stereo only source it sends the correct flag to the audio system, but as soon as I go to a channel that has 5.1 it never drops the flag. For example start Channels, go direct to CNN over TVE. Info says 2 channel audio, audio receiver says 2.0. Then tune to a local OTA channel. Info says 6 channels, audio system says 5.1 channels. Go back to CNN. Info says 2 channels, audio system says 5.1 channels. The flag for Dolby is not being dropped.

Open Netflix, find an old movie in stereo only. Audio system says 2.0. Go to a Dolby Atmos movie, Audio system says ATMOS. Go back to old movie, audio system says 2.0.

Issue only shows on Channels.

Which audio driver?

That's very odd as the entire point of that setting is that it forces all audio to be 5.1 for compatibility sakes. So, it would ALWAYS be AC-3 5.1

Regarding your setup, I have the exact same setup on multiple TVs and haven't had an issue (LG OLED C/G + Sonos Playbar/Arc)

I'll try to follow your exact repro's later tonight, thanks for these!

1 Like

FYI, when I said quit Channels, I mean a force quit, not just closing the app. The app has to start fresh to clear the flag.

Updated to 5.7.5 but still seeing the same issue. Ran tests on Netflix, Disney, Prime and don't see any issues with the proper audio being detected based on source. Something very specific to Channels since TVOS 17 and the update to Channels to run on it.

Updates?

Further development. In an effort to force the 5.1 off, I turned off the surround option in Channels, but it is still putting out Dolby 5.1 flag. Once the flag is set, the only thing that kills it is a total force quit of the app.

We have not.

I guess the next step is to reset the Apple TV to factory and reload everything

I wouldn’t expect that to fix anything and would be a big pain in the butt for you.

But if I am the only person seeing this issue then must be something in my ATV.

Well a complete wipe of the system did not help. This must be a TVOS17 bug.

Confirmed this is a TVOS bug, not Channels. Another forum pointed out that the Amazon Prime app is displaying the same behavior, I confirmed it. Exact same issue of not dropping the flag.

Im not a developer so I have no way to report this to Apple and I know the feedback page is basically a black hole. Will have to hope they catch it at some point.

Latest update to the Prime app fixed the audio issue for that app. So what ever change Apple made in TVOS17 it can be adjusted for.

New Channels user here and having the same issue. I am a longtime Roku user with Directv Stream but was looking for an alternative and gave Channels a try on AppleTV. I also saw a post in the apple forums about it starting for Channels after TVOS 17, so I am hopeful something changes. When using a firestick, channels audio works fine, and the 2.0 content comes out as DD 2.0 so my receiver can properly apply PL2x on it. I would rather use AppleTV though. I don't think the issue will be noticeable on a soundbar, as there is very little L/R separation, so a DD5.1 signal coming out just L+R is not as noticeable as for those of us with home theater setups with wide L+R separation. Hoping for a fix soon as otherwise I am really liking the Channels experience.

@mtnbkr60 have you had any luck getting this resolved? A few more data points from my side...If I have the audio driver set to default, I only get audio out of my left and center channels. If I change to experimental, I get audio only out of left and right channels. This is for 2 channel stereo content only, true DD 5.1 content plays normally. Since Channels on FireTV behaves normally, where 2 channel content is sent out as DD2.0, I am guessing the issue is caused by Apple TV, but like you mentioned, the Prime App seems to have been able to fix this for their 2 channel content, so hopefully it is something that can be fixed on the Channels Apple TV client side to compensate for whatever broke on the apple tv side. I would really rather stick with the Apple TV client vs going to a firestick, but the 2 channel audio not being routed properly or in a format where my receiver can translate to simulated surround is really distracting for the stereo OTA and TVE content. Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

I have not heard a word from the Channels Dev's. I set one of my ATV's to get the TVOS developer beta's hoping that Apple was aware and making fixes, but even the latest Dev Beta has the problem. Seems like some coding to ensure the Dolby flag is not active when the source is 2 channel would fix this.