Best Channels client setup

That does not say anything about moving the buffer from client to server.

Are you referring to something else other than the live tv buffer, used for pause/seeking?

EDIT: I think your are confused. Looking at image, that is for web browser or remote playback transcoding buffer, that is done on the server. Normal local in home playback is direct play, no transcode and that live playback buffer is on the client device.

Read it again. or try it does a simple remux.

Please read the entire thread or try it before assuming you are correct in your assumptions.

No one said normal I said HLS read my initial post geez ....

1 Like

HLS is not used in normal operation. anyways, i will ask about that in that thread. sorry to derail this one.

1 Like

This is something that is in development and while we're working toward it being an official option, it's more of a hack right now.

As we become comfortable with this, we'll offer a more official option in the clients. But for now, using the debug option to force HLS will provide this.

HLS from Channels DVR Server does not require transcoding, they just work hand in hand. As you can see in the Quality Options for away from home, you can choose Original Quality. It can send things down in original quality while using HLS, vs a direct stream.

Using HLS provides many benefits, with the main drawback being that it takes about 2 seconds for a stream to start. This is fine for recordings, but tends to be a bit annoying for live tv channel changing.

In the future, this will be an option which provides devices like a Fire Stick the option to have a longer buffer, vs the 10 minutes they get now. It will be up to the person using Channels decide if they want this trade off.

I personally use HLS in original quality remotely from another home all summer long and not only is it great, it provides so many extras that direct streaming can't do. I'm not going to get into all of them right now, but I can't stress enough how mutually exclusive our HSL tech is from transcoding.

NOTE: this is not a change in terms of the "put the buffer on the server" requests. This is just us utilizing our tech in a way that can benefit in other ways.

2 Likes

Really curious as to what they are now :thinking:

So...i was right when questioning what Edwin_Perez had stated. Saying that specifically is what made me puzzled, cause pretty sure i would have noticed THAT big of a change.
Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah I don't normally have Apple products either. Just out performs all the other stuff I have tried. Its the only Apple product I currently use.

Yep... @pcarst i am an android guy and have 3 firesticks in the trash. Save yourself the trouble and go for the AppleTV. I do have 1 shield tube on my office tv, the only reason i dont replace it is becuase i very rarely use that TV. Otherwise it would be gone too. The Apple interface is much cleaner and has proven to be top notch in the WAF department. She used to get frustrated and complain about the android tv interface all the time. I couldnt argue with her becuase she was right, it was terrible.

We're a Chromecast with Google TV (CCWGTV) and Tivo Stream 4K+ (TS4K+) exclusive household, and they all work totally fine. No Apple product is coming in this house ever again. And everyone else in this thread, don't bother trying to convince me, just accept it as fact.

THAT SAID, you have to know the Dev's build for Apple first, port to Android later. If you want the latest and greatest, you need AppleTV. Everyone else is right with what they have said about it already.

3 Likes

+1 for Chromecast with Google TV (CCWGTV)

I had firesticks as my go-to but they start lagging and memory issues. The CCWGTV doesn't have more memory but since I bought one a few months ago, I haven't come across the same problems and if they go on sale again I'll replace the others.

I do have an Apple TV in the living room because I had it and it runs nice and smooth... But it is also heftier device and comes with extra cost and takes up more space than a dongle.

1 Like

If you are going for a Fire TV device, I highly recommend the Fire TV Cube because it has twice as much storage as any of the Fire TV sticks.

I have a Firestick 4K Max with 128gb extra Storage I get many hours of livetv buffer. More than any Apple TV.

Yes, that is what I eventually decided to do. I don't think the storage is going to make a difference since I am mainly using Channels DVR on my Synology NAS but the extra RAM and processor power may be helpful. The only downside is that the Fire TV Cube, like all the Fire devices, only supports wired 100mb. While I do have both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz in my house, I prefer wired far more than wireless when available. The wireless 5Ghz connection came in over twice the speed of the paltry 100mbs wired connection on the Cube so just gotta go with the flow. Amazon really needs to join the 90s!

1 Like

Does anyone have recommendations for the best client to handle ATSC 3.0?

I currently have AFTV 4k Maxs on both of my TVs, but have been struggling with a lot of dropped frames and choppy playback despite being on the most recent beta apps.

How does the apple tv 4k or the shield tv handle atsc 3.0?

You can try Settings > Playback > Advanced > Video Decoder: Hardware.

The Apple TV 4K handles things just fine.

I have them all hardwired via Ethernet and set to hardware decoding. Unfortunately it still seems to drop tons of frames per minute.

As someone who has shield tv pros and an atv4k I will say the shields have an ever so slightly better picture on atsc1 and atsc3. Dropped frames are few on both. However without a doubt if I were in the market for another client it would be atv4k. New features from channels hit Apple first and you don’t have to take extra steps to rid the Home Screen from ads with atv.