Best TVE Provider?

I currently subscribe to Sling who does not provide many TVE channels. Also, they recently updated their Roku app with a horrible UI change and I would love to switch to only using Channels. But that leaves me with finding a provider that offers the most channels via TVE. Is there a TVE only provider by any chance?

I'm a fan of Fubo TV, it offers lots of TVE, but also its own client (on AppleTV at least) has 2x2 MultiView which I use all the time, and love. Check it out and see if it offers the channels you want, it may fit the bill for you, too?

And here's a good reference from Channels' support page, to check channel availability:

1 Like

What are your must have channels? TVE support means nothing if a service doesn't carry the channels you want.

1 Like

I have to offer my agreement with Fubo. It works very well with Channels DVR and the APTV app is excellent. If you choose the full package your at $80/mo out the door.

1 Like

One other note, I live near GSO, NC and can get all my locals via TVE on Fubo.

Philo $25/month
Antenna $Free
Pluto (docker) $Free
Stirr (docker)
Samsung (custom channel)

Only station i miss is TNT.

But checkout the TVE page and compare providers, You will never get all channels you want. Make a list of your most important and go from there.

1 Like

Vidgo's another I've been hearing a bit about

1 Like

Locals via TVE are crucial in the Piedmont Triad, since NBC is to the north, but FOX CBS ABC are to the south.

Vidgo is almost worthless if it isn't for TVE w/channels. Their own apps suck & there is no DVR. On the other hand,they're really cheap for what they offer.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I probably should have listed the channels I need and it is almost all of them :slight_smile: My in-laws live with us so we have a varied requirement list from sports to Hallmark channels. I've been tempted to get cable and use a cable card with the HDHomeRun Prime but sadly our provider sets the copy once flag for almost every channel, so it won't work. I think we will try Fubo TV next.

I'm just looking for someone who won't change the interface on us like Sling did since that really impacts my in-laws. They are older and don't like change. The Channels interface is great and I would love to use it, but I need the channels they like to be available before we can switch to it.

Agreed, which is why I mentioned it. It kind of matches up with the OP's question:

Their channel choice is a bit limited though.

1 Like

It depends on what channels you need. They are all about the same except for the channels they provide -- except xfinity seems plagued with persistent and annoying authentication problems. I was able to switch from xfinity ($70 + $40 in fees) to Philo ($25) without really missing anything. But that's based on my family's viewing habits. Your needs are likely different. I would identify which services have the channels I need and then check this forum to see if there are a lot of problems reported. The good news is that you can swap out services if you have trouble and it won't effect the end user.

It's a bit more complicated to figure this out.

1st, the various Live TV services from DirecTV Stream to Philo list which are their linear aka live channels they provide.

2nd, they do NOT tell you which channels they support via TVEverwhere (TVE). For instance, almost all Live TV services does NOT provide CNN via TVE, therefore you CAN NOT GET CNN ON A CHANNELS DVR VIA TVE from a Live TV service :frowning:

If anyone is interested, I have a very detailed spreadsheet with all Live TV services and their respective linear channels as well as all Live TV services and their respective TVE channels. They are not the same lists.

1 Like

I can confirm that
DirecTV,
Spectrum (even with the basic "essentials," no-cable-box-required subscription)
as well as the standalone DirecTV Stream (previously AT&T TV Now, before that DirecTV Now)....
do provide CNN via TVE.

I'm sure there are a few others. But your distinction is correct. Just because a provider offers access to a channel that doesn't mean they also automatically offer access to it via TVE. I know YouTube TV doesn't offer CNN over TVE, for example. Which is why spreadsheets like yours are necessary these days! Please share :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have Vidgo and it looks like there are 65 channels on TV Everywhere.

Here is the link to where you can download the XLS: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AuyKwfYisOqMkMky-g5Muu_o2XESXw?e=mK9rSQ

There are two sheets:
1) Live TV Channels ranked by popularity (I did put several sports channels next to ESPN in the rankings) X Live TV Services
2) TV Everywhere by Channels DVR channels X Live TV Services

Of course, download and sort based on your channel needs.

Note: I did the TVE by subscribing to each service to capture which were their real TVE channels. I did that 4 months ago, so it might be a little bit out of date. For instance, since then AT&T split from DirecTV and thus CNN became a DirecTV Stream TVE channel.

Please send me any changes I need to make to the XLS and I will keep it up to date.

BTW: this comes from a much more extensive evaluations of the Live TV services, including what is different with each service on each streaming media device (Roku, ATV, Fire TV, NVidia Stream Pro, TiVo Stream and Google/Android TV). Below is the scoring of that evaluation:

Note: the Channels DVR score is from using HDHomeRun and NOT using TVE (lots of the scoring is around 5.1 surround sound capabilities).

2 Likes

This is a great resource. I'd hoped to eventually see something like it. Thanks for compiling and sharing! I just downloaded a copy and added a count at the top, just for comparison's sake:

CleanShot 2021-09-21 at 16.12.23

1 Like

This page appears to be broken.

Not anymore: https://getchannels.com/docs/channels-dvr-server/tv-everywhere/availability/

Note that the link to getchannels>TVE does NOT include DirecTV Stream. And the old AT&T TV doesn't not have CNN available, et al.

jtanderson
DVR User

Fofer

1h

This page appears to be broken.

I seem to be able to access the XLS from the link - could you confirm that you can NOT access the XLS please.....thanks....

1 Like