Best TVE Provider?

It's a bit more complicated to figure this out.

1st, the various Live TV services from DirecTV Stream to Philo list which are their linear aka live channels they provide.

2nd, they do NOT tell you which channels they support via TVEverwhere (TVE). For instance, almost all Live TV services does NOT provide CNN via TVE, therefore you CAN NOT GET CNN ON A CHANNELS DVR VIA TVE from a Live TV service :frowning:

If anyone is interested, I have a very detailed spreadsheet with all Live TV services and their respective linear channels as well as all Live TV services and their respective TVE channels. They are not the same lists.

1 Like

I can confirm that
DirecTV,
Spectrum (even with the basic "essentials," no-cable-box-required subscription)
as well as the standalone DirecTV Stream (previously AT&T TV Now, before that DirecTV Now)....
do provide CNN via TVE.

I'm sure there are a few others. But your distinction is correct. Just because a provider offers access to a channel that doesn't mean they also automatically offer access to it via TVE. I know YouTube TV doesn't offer CNN over TVE, for example. Which is why spreadsheets like yours are necessary these days! Please share :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have Vidgo and it looks like there are 65 channels on TV Everywhere.

Here is the link to where you can download the XLS: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AuyKwfYisOqMkMky-g5Muu_o2XESXw?e=mK9rSQ

There are two sheets:
1) Live TV Channels ranked by popularity (I did put several sports channels next to ESPN in the rankings) X Live TV Services
2) TV Everywhere by Channels DVR channels X Live TV Services

Of course, download and sort based on your channel needs.

Note: I did the TVE by subscribing to each service to capture which were their real TVE channels. I did that 4 months ago, so it might be a little bit out of date. For instance, since then AT&T split from DirecTV and thus CNN became a DirecTV Stream TVE channel.

Please send me any changes I need to make to the XLS and I will keep it up to date.

BTW: this comes from a much more extensive evaluations of the Live TV services, including what is different with each service on each streaming media device (Roku, ATV, Fire TV, NVidia Stream Pro, TiVo Stream and Google/Android TV). Below is the scoring of that evaluation:

Note: the Channels DVR score is from using HDHomeRun and NOT using TVE (lots of the scoring is around 5.1 surround sound capabilities).

2 Likes

This is a great resource. I'd hoped to eventually see something like it. Thanks for compiling and sharing! I just downloaded a copy and added a count at the top, just for comparison's sake:

CleanShot 2021-09-21 at 16.12.23

1 Like

This page appears to be broken.

Not anymore: https://getchannels.com/docs/channels-dvr-server/tv-everywhere/availability/

Note that the link to getchannels>TVE does NOT include DirecTV Stream. And the old AT&T TV doesn't not have CNN available, et al.

jtanderson
DVR User

Fofer

1h

This page appears to be broken.

I seem to be able to access the XLS from the link - could you confirm that you can NOT access the XLS please.....thanks....

1 Like

Thank you, this is a great resource for choosing the right service for your needs! :slight_smile:

For DirecTV Satellite, it also depends on which package you have. In my case, I have the Ultimate Standard package and that gives me access to Logo, Nick Jr., FYI, Oxygen, and more that are not marked "Y" in your list. :wink:

I don't believe we have the ultimate standard package - we have the cheapest package they have - we use it mainly for NFL Sunday Ticket access. (And for DirecTV, I didn't work through the details that certain channels cost more as indicated by "$" for that channel, as I did for the Live TV services).

1 Like

Your link is fine. @jtanderson was replying to my post about Channel's TVE availability page which was temporarily down earlier today: https://getchannels.com/docs/channels-dvr-server/tv-everywhere/availability/

I haven't looked through the spreadsheets, but I can say that other than some RSNs, DirecTV really does have full coverage with TVE. I don't know which packages might enable them, but the only channels I do not get with DirecTV are:

• SNY
  • NBC Sports RSNs
  • PAC-12 RSNs
  • NFL RedZone
  • ESPN Deportes
  • Fox Deportes
  • Fox Sports Soccer Plus

Otherwise, I receive all other available TVE channels, including locals (ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, and 3 different PBS).

1 Like

@fofer That is a great resource, thank you!

@racameron I assume you are using the satellite version of DirecTV and not stream?

Correct.

DirecTV Stream TVE is pretty good too. It includes the WarnerMedia channels. The only thing I lost, that I care about, in switching from sat to Stream was CSPAN.

I know the price isn't right for everyone. I wish they had packages without locals.

YouTube TV will authenticate TVE for TCM. This is recent. As a result, I am able to record TCM using Channels DVR with an internet only Xfinity account and YouTube TV.

1 Like

Since AT&T TV NOW returned back to the DirecTV brand as DirecTV STREAM, the TVE lineup expanded and is probably one of the best available. I have the original Go Big plan which is not available anymore but I now have 167 channels of TVE on my CHANNELS server. Recently added were CNN, CNNi, Fox Sports 1 and 2, and many others.

This would be nice to see in a grid, it would be pretty easy to compare providers across all channels that way.

Not sure which provider is best but if I were choosing one for use with Channels DVR, I would avoid YouTube TV like the plague.

(I've had zero authentication problems with DirecTV Stream.)

I use YouTube TV for authentication for TCM. Works a treat!

Note I'm running Channels DVR in a Docker on Debian.

EDIT: to be extra clear, I'm running the TVE flavor of Channels DVR: