Beta - Channel Collections

Well I'm embarrassed. A clear sign of the advancing ageing process. Thank you!

Updated in tvOS/iOS TestFlight and DVR pre-release:

You can now choose your Channel Collections as an option for Quick Guide and Channel Surfing. Just know that if you delete a collection while it is set to one of these settings, you'll end up with no channels in Quick Guide and Channels Surfing, since that Channel Collection will be gone.

This update also resolves an issue where some favorites were missing for TVE sources.

I cannot seem to get Channels Collections to work

When I try to activate it I get this

c

You need to create channel collections first. Live TV > Channel Collections in the nav.

Got it, somehow i missed that step. thank you!

Sorry - the favorites issue doesn't appear to have been fixed. The first download of favorites works, the 2nd one doesn't. (i.e. if i do stable first, stable works, but beta doesn't. vice versa, and beta works, but not stable)

f106e047-6b80-4352-bdea-bee5fba080a8 submitted from the DVR.

Thanks, we're doing another pass on the fix.

is this coming to Fire TV Stick app, in beta?

Please read the original post.

Initial support for this feature is now available on Android TV, in the latest apk beta.

It is not yet available on Android mobile/tablet.

2 Likes

Got collections up and running on the Shields. Thanks!

1 Like

What if we can integrate library content into collections ? Just a thought

eg. Collection: TV Classics: Channel X, Channel Y, Folder >TV Classic

Is the firestick 4k considered Android TV for the collections feature beta?

Yes. You can install the beta via Settings > Support > Install Beta in the Channels app on your FireTV.

1 Like

Any way to surface this in the web UI: Guide, On Now and On Later?

Currently, one has to change Favorite Channels server side to affect that, but since Favorite Channels server side are used to determine which channels to record from, it's a PITA to change them all the time.

Would also be useful for testing how it will look on the clients while you build the collections on the server.

We’ll utilize channel collections more. One step at a time.

3 Likes

I couldn't wait and took an hour off from work to play with this. I have it running on my Apple TVs, TS4K, and iOS, and loving it. I think this is going to be a game changer for me. I had given up on trying to keep Favorites updated after I added Pluto and just added a few channels from Pluto to Favorites and left it at that. Now I have quickly setup a half dozen or so collections and will be confident that going to different TVs they will all be in sync. I've already turned off the old Favorites and its a memory from the past.

For something this wide sweeping and I assume complex, great job on how solid it is... I've not had any issues with this yet. Its amazing that if you change a collection, its instantly appearing on the clients.

7 Likes

Forgot my question. Can you change the order the Collections appear in the client menu? I'm not seeing a way to do that and would definitely like to arrange them.

You would have to remove and readd in the order you want.

OK, that's not a big deal. When I first read this, I thought you meant to delete the collections completely and add them back in the order I wanted. Then I realized you meant to just remove them in the settings and add them back. Phew! :joy: