As some of you know, we have been slowing porting the new design and features from Channels 4.0 for Apple TV over to the Android ecosystem. These features were in recent alpha builds, and are now available in the latest betas!
You can opt-in to the beta via the Play Store on https://getchannels.com/beta, or install it as a separate app by clicking "Install Channels DVR Beta" in the Channels DVR app under Settings > Player.
Our goal for this beta is to surface and fix any remaining bugs, so the 3.0 release can be as stable as possible. Over 6000 lines of code were changed during the alpha, so there is a large surface area for new bugs and regressions.
The Android ecosystem has so many different types and sizes of devices that it is almost impossible for us to test everything ourselves. So please help us by trying the new beta on all your phones, tablets and Android TVs!
Some highlights on what has changed:
- NEW: Welcome screen on initial app launch
- NEW: Updated design with sidebar navigation
- NEW: Manage Navigation settings let you customize the sidebar for easy access to Up Next, TV Shows, Movies, Schedule and more
- NEW: TV Shows can be marked as favorite
- NEW: Trash can be emptied (or restored) from Settings tab
- NEW: Allow Deletion setting can be used to hide trash buttons in the app
- NEW: Airing Order setting can be customized to change episode display order
- NEW: Channel Surfing setting can be customized to control channel up/down behavior
- NEW: Option to Resume or Start from Beginning when resuming recording playback
- NEW: Customized seek settings for watching movies
- NEW: Channels API for programmatic navigation
- NEW: Remote Shortcut settings let you map colored keys on your remote to sections of the app
- IMPROVED: Ability to sort movies by Top Rated
- IMPROVED: TV Show's episodes are now listed grouped by season number
- IMPROVED: Search tab will now search recorded movies and shows
- IMPROVED: Search tab offers TV and movie suggestions
- IMPROVED: Alphabetical sort will now ignore A/The prefixes and lowercase/uppercase
- FIXED: Up Next would not refresh reliably