BETA: Channels 3.0 for Android and Android TV

The loading screen isn’t there just for fun, it’s actually loading. It’s only up as long as it takes to load everything before you can start using it. Optionally removing it...isn’t an option.

We’re not monsters.

2 Likes

“your TV” was in reference to, the tv experience and your content, not your physical TV. But I can see how that comes across weird.

Originally I was going to have it use a different line of text randomly on each launch, but I couldn’t come up with enough interesting or funny lines :rofl:

Something like BeOS' haiku error messages in NetPositive, perhaps?

But...the app had no loading screen before, it just opened...so, i don't get your "it has to be there because it is loading" logic.
There are plenty of apps that do not have a "loading" screen.
They just open.

Other user suggested a customizable Splash screen.....i like that idea.
Set my own image or .gif animation image, then i could like it.

Not a big deal...but anyway, it still is distorted and messed up when it shows, randomly.

False, it opened to a blank screen with a loading spinner. All the new screen is, is something a little nicer.

1 Like

Guess I never noticed it. It always loaded fast for me. Loading screen makes it seem like it is much more longer a time and noticable a wait I guess.

I actually prefer the spinner. Sorry.

1 Like

I will pipe up to say I like the improved loading screen. I only see it once in a blue moon when the app updates and then only for about 2 or 3 seconds and its gone. Really do not understand all the uproar over this. Its a nice touch of polish on what was a rough edge.

4 Likes

The latest Beta will not start on my FireTV Cube. Version 3.0.0-v1088201826. Had to reinstall none Beta to watch TV.

Crashing issue fixed in v8.20.2059

1 Like

Working

The loading screen doesn't bother me either. There are a lot more important things to chase than modifying that - my opinion of course.

Definitely enjoying the Beta, thanks for the hard work.

1 Like

I’m running 8.20.2145. When I try to watch a recording it sometimes starts the audio only with no video. I have noticed this in the alpha and previous version as well.

I’m running the DVR (2020.08.19.2205) on a Synology DS620slim and I have hardware transcoding set and hardware video decoder set in the app.

I have been trying to find a pattern but can’t figure it out. There is no message in the log when it happens.

What should I try next to troubleshoot this?

What device are you using Channels app on?

Click Support > Submit Diagnostics on the Settings tab after it happens.

Nvidia Shield TV

I submitted diagnostics a few minutes ago after it happened.

The hardware mpeg2 decoder appears to be failing for some reason. Changing Settings > Playback > Advanced > Video Decoder: Software is probably your best bet.

manged to get image of the splash screen issue i mentioned.
it seems to happen most often when i load up the channels app after using other apps for a while.

Never had any sloppy mess like this come up before when there was no Splash Screen.
Again, this is what i have been seen since the first Alpha build that had this new screen.

Its only up for about 3-4 secs or so...but it is rather annoying to see.

1 Like

I also have this issue, only on my Shield Tubes. I haven't seen this on my TiVo 4K Stream

2 Likes

2019 Shield Pro as well. Using hardware decoder.
If I exit the program and restart it, it plays fine.

I have noticed on the Alpha version (8.17.2154) that the video will sometimes freeze. I'm thinking more on the broadcast channels that are 70 miles away that are mostly 100% signals but sometimes glitch although it has also happened with close 100% signal channels too. The video never recovers and have to exit to the guide and restart the channel to get the video going again. Seems to happen on all the Alpha builds I have had. Has not happened with the old beta.

Just now got the Beta 8.20.2145 and hoping this problem goes away.