BETA: Channels DVR Server for Raspberry Pi 4 (USB BOOT IMAGE)

See the top of this page:

Do I need to leave the USB disk in the RPi at all times? Thanks.

No.

1 Like

I must be missing a step. Below is what I have done. When I try to connect through CMD and Putty, I receive a connection refused error. Any thoughts?

• Formatted a USB drive as FAT and labeled it as 'CONFIG'
  • Generated a public key file using Putty and called it 'authorized_keys'
  • Placed the USB drive in the Pi and booted it
  • It went through the boot cycle and the Channels Server started running
  • Tried to connect via CMD and Putty using port 22222 and 22, but receive a "Connection Refused" error each time

Sounds right. Connection refused means the file was not picked up correctly. See more details on https://developers.home-assistant.io/docs/operating-system/debugging/#home-assistant-operating-system

A post was merged into an existing topic: Got a Javascript error

I was able to connect to it and transfer files successfully after following that additional help guide. Thanks!

I have transferred approximately 2.5-3GB of media files to the hard drive connected to the RPi4 and am now getting an error that there is not enough space. The only thing on the hard drive is the latest image and these files. It is a 6TB drive. Any suggestions?

Which directory are you copying into?

/media/Movies & /media/TV

I created the Movies and TV directories.

The files must go inside /media/DVR

Can I create sub-directories inside of /media/DVR?

You should be able to. Are you trying to transfer old database/recordings or add imports?

Imports/local media. It looks like putting them inside sub-directories in the DVR folder is working now.

I just de-partitioned and re-imaged a 1TB drive in a Sabrent USB3 box to try the forced update from 1016.2140 to 1016.2213. No problem doing that. I was able to mount its /media/DVR partition on a Mint 20 laptop and copy the latest backup from the USB drive of our Raspian-based DVR server to avoid having to re-create its passes. No problem that I could see, but a few observations about migrations.

It seems to me that restores should be in the DVR Database section of /admin/settings rather than in /welcome, since restoring requires access to Basic Settings to disable the DVR. Also, with this imaged approach, one dares not forget to re-enable it, or there's nothing to reboot as I found out the hard way. At least in this imaged version, I suggest removing the disable DVR option and making it an automatic disable-re-enable sequence as part of a restore option.

So far so good.

Not following what you mean here?

Imports should go inside /media/DVR/Imports/TV

1 Like

Okay. I didn't see an Imports directory, so I created it and am placing my files in sub-directories there.

When I place imports inside of the DVR folder, they no longer show in the library. I updated the path in the settings, but it they do not show. I rebooted the Pi with no luck. If I put them outside of DVR and just in media they show up instantly in the library.

On a newly setup 1016.2213 server, I navigated from /admin/settings to /welcome in order to restore passes I had copied from the existing server's HD into the new one's, but I was warned that I first had to disable the DVR before I could do the restore. I returned to /admin/settings, disabled Bonjour and the DVR, then returned to /welcome/restore and restored the metadata.

I went back to admin/settings and checked to find that the passes I wanted to have on the new server were there, but I forgot to re-enable Bonjour and the DVR.

I happened to have a local display attached the Pi4. The next time I rebooted the Pi, instead of seeing the server prompt for a root login as it normal does, the screen went black and the server wasn't accessible on the network. I watched it attempt to reboot in a loop that ran for at least 3 passes. I had to re-image to get it back.

Question: The newly imaged server came up, downloaded its guide, and began recording local and network news at 6PM EDT per the passes I restored into it, but the admin page (and logs) show its time zone as UTC. Why UTC?

My attention was called to that because I restarted the long running Raspian-based server and left it running. Its server correctly shows EDT, matching the Raspian system datetime.