BETA: Channels DVR Server for Raspberry Pi 4 (USB BOOT IMAGE)

Yes, I had quite a few items in the imports folder both within Movies and TV. I just checked via SSH/SFTP and the folders are not showing there either.

Do you remember what OS version you were on before? How did you update?

I have been a channels user since July 2017 and (this is just an echo chamber now) the functionality just gets better and better with each update. Bravo!

I have been running my DVR through an Nvidia Shield which after a couple of minor teething pains has been absolutely rock solid. Of course, curiosity is killing me and I have recently been pondering setting up a standalone system that primarily would be used for channels DVR functions but secondarily I would like to implement homebridge (www.homebridge.io) so that I can add a few non-homekit devices to my automation routines. The standalone system would have no other functions.

Is this something that an RPi 4 can handle?

Unfortunately, I have zero experience with a Raspberry Pi and only limited experience with linux in general. Relatively speaking I could setup separate Pi's each for channels and homebridge. Stability is the ultimate goal, the WAF hits zero with even the slightest glitch in the matrix!

Any input is greatly appreciated!

I don’t recall. I held down the check for update buttons on the admin page. It looks like the Streaming folder is messed up somehow because I receive an error when trying to play YouTubeTV channels in my guide.

The hard drive seems to have the imports videos though based on the reported size on the admin page.

Can you submit diagnostics

Just submitted them f179b0a9-d5a1-4aeb-ab16-4699dbbbaac7. Also noticed this error on the support page

If you have ssh setup, run the following:

systemctl stop usb-mount@sda9
systemctl start systemd-fsck@dev-sda9

Then check if this says "active (exited)" in green:

systemctl status systemd-fsck@dev-sda9

And if so, run:

systemctl start usb-mount@sda9

LMK if that works, and submit diagnostics afterwards too.

Here are screenshots of what I received for each of those commands. Disk permissions is now showing a green check in the support tab. Diagnostics also submitted: 1d40c986-ec3b-4c04-88e0-3cee83fda2e8

Doesn't look like it worked correctly. Can you reboot and try the same steps again.

Okay, I rebooted and had the same result. Also shut down and then tried again with the same result. I ran the usb-mount status command and the following is the result:

Submitted logs: 849e3cce-770c-41ec-b764-60e99a44cfcc

I am just getting things setup. The DVR image is really stripped down OS, so I don't think you'd be able to install Homebridge.

I have a second PI, the Zero model sitting next to it. For $10 it was worth it. It's small but capable. I have docker running a Homebridge image and the Pluto DVR m3u image to add even more channels into the DVR.

1 Like

Hm it's not unmounting for some reason, so then the fsck to fix it doesn't work.

Make sure it is not mounted anymore before running the fsck:

# systemctl stop channels-dvr
# systemctl stop usb-mount@sda9
# mount | grep sda9

If it still shows up in the mount list, try:

umount -f /dev/sda9

You can also try click-and-hold to update to newest OS prerelease which will fsck on reboot automatically and should fix the problem.

I updated to the newest OS prerelease, but the admin page will not load and it doesn't seem to be coming back online. I powered it down completely and then tried turning back on and the same thing - it isn't coming back online.

thanks for the response. i'm probably best to stick with my current setup of channels on the shield since it has been so solid but you have given me other ideas now to get a bit more mileage out of an otherwise homebridge hub.

Hello, been using the Channels DVR Pi Image for about a month. Working well but wanted to know if there is any feature to sleep the HDD when idle? Also is there any S.M.A.R.T. features to detect if the HDD is going bad? I have a separate Pi Running OpenMediaVault NAS and there is options for both. Thanks.

Coming online as in you can't ping it, ssh to it, or open the dvr web UI?

All three. And the app can’t find it either.

Do you have a micro-HDMI cable you can use to see what's shown on the screen when it's stuck? What is the green LED on the front doing?

I hooked up the monitor, but didn’t see anything, so I hard rebooted it and it is stuck on the screen below. Green light is solid. Admin page is now accessible and it is included below as well.