BETA: Channels DVR Server for Raspberry Pi 4 (USB BOOT IMAGE)

Possible but unnecessary

You can run multiple instances with one subscription. But only one can enable remote access.

You either need powered enclosures, or connect them to a powered USB hub. RPi4 cannot power 2 external USB drives.

1 Like

Thank you @scottuf ... That was my first guess but just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something else wrong.

Thank you for the response. Will just use the spare 3TB drive I have. If this fits their needs case I will most likely get a second subscription.

1 Like

If they are local, you do not need the second subscription. They have separate configurations and all. Just make sure the clients are pointed to the correct server IP address. I'm running most of the house on a shield server, and am testing other stuff on a pi server.

Wondering if there are any solutions on how to install the Argon One fan script?

Does the USB thumb drive need to remain connected for ssh access? Or can it be removed after the initial ssh setup?

It can be removed right away.

1 Like

I just uploaded to the latest OS and Server version, but no longer see the Imports folder in my directory. I tried playing a video from that folder on the app, but it does not play. I have included a screenshot of the directory structure that I am now seeing. I have rebooted and also shut down and powered back up with no luck.

Huh. So you had uploaded Imports before and now they're gone? What if you connect via SSH/SFTP are they there?

I'm experimenting with the Raspberry Pi image and don't see where setting a static IP has been exposed through the web UI yet. Is there any guidance for doing so if ssh is enabled?

I just signed up for Channels DVR and tested on my PC. Next step is setting up a Pi!

I am looking at the Argon m.2 case https://www.argon40.com/argon-one-m-2-case-for-raspberry-pi-4.html

1. Can I install the image onto an m.2 using an adapter and use that too boot? It appears the Argon case connects the m.2 via USB3 so it would just act like an external drive.
  2. I noticed a few people asking about the Argon fan install script, any suggestions on the ability to use with this Pi image?

I have been testing this for a few days now. I only have one issue. When watching Live TV from my HD Homerun, I get some mico stutters every 20-30 seconds. I only seem to get these when watching live MPEG 2 video. It doesn't matter what client be t my web client on my desktop, or a Tivo Stream 4K.

Recorded material seems to be fine. Am missing a setting somewhere? My main serve on a Xeon E3-225v6 runs flawlessly. So know it isn't the source but possibly a CPU limitation on the Pi

Live TV through an HDHomeRun should be going directly to the Channels client. It would only pass through the DVR if you were watching the recording of the live event, right?. TVE streams, on the other hand, do pass through the DVR on the way to the client.

As an aside, I was seeing similar behavior with OTA over wired ethernet. I replaced a couple of 10/100 switches on my network with Gigabit switches and haven't seen the stuttering since. Could be coincidence, or maybe there was some slowness between my HDHomeRun and my client.

I have similar issues, but not isolated to the Pi. Happens on my shield as well. My issue is likely with the HDHR install. Note that Channels streams live tv directly from the HDHR to the client without touching it. Channels only starts and stops the stream. The client does all the processing unless you use tuner sharing. So it is doubtful that the Pi is the problem.

By default, yes. But if "Tuner sharing" is enabled on the client, then all feeds pass through the DVR server first, and then to the clients.

Ah, yeah... forgot about tuner sharing.

@hrhnick - I am running the custom Pi image and I had looked at that Argon case too but settled on the Flirc after reading more about it and how good a job it does with passive cooling, here's a link showing some comparisons.

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2019/best-way-keep-your-cool-running-raspberry-pi-4

My Pi server temp ranges from 42-44C and never have seen it go higher, I think the Pi throttles when the temp goes over 80C.

(I also went with the Canakit 3.5A power supply just in case the added drives needed it.)

But, if you do go with the Argon, the fan may just have to run all the time unless you come up with your own install using native Raspberry PI OS and not use the custom Pi boot image at this time.

If this is not correct and the boot image will support fan control - then someone please comment.

Thank you!

It will live in a closet so I guess the fan being in will not be a huge deal. I am mainly interested in the Argon that integrates an m.2 into the base. I have an SSD pulled from an old laptop I intend to use.

the issue I have is streaming to a web client, it still will transcode, watching an HD channel pi only seems capable of running at 0.88x, Watch an SD channel, and it will transcode runs at 1.39x

The TiVo Stream 4K seems to be working properly now. Still need to de-TiVo it, so hopefully it will help stability there.

And, no tuner sharing is not on on either of my server instances.