BETA: Custom Channels via M3U Playlists

What guide data source is set at the top?

In v2020.11.20.2123 you can enter a file path for xmltv file instead of a URL.

This is available in v2020.11.20.2123:

There is also a new option to refresh the M3U url/file daily.

4 Likes

Awesome! Thanks for doing this so quick!

1 Like

I love this new feature so much and am exploring lots of additional content, mostly from Pluto.tv. Thanks again, Channels developer team.

I'd appreciate an explanation for the "stream limit" setting (under options?) I see we can choose from "no limit" or any number from 1 to 8. What is this for? This makes me wonder, does Pluto (or any of the other content providers we might add this way) have a stream limit per user or household? Do streams get cut off if (for example) we're watching different Pluto content on multiple devices while also recording a Pluto channel on Channels DVR? How does this work, exactly?

Thanks for the option to set a update time period on the guide data, I really appreciate it. I understand this is pre-release, but I noticed I had to re-add the guide data link to have access to that setting, would be nice to have that editable without having to re-add. Not a huge deal, as we'll likely only set this once, but might make it easier in case someone finds the need to adjust it later.

You guys are the most prolific and attentive developers I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with, thanks for all you do! You've enabled us to put together one hell of an outstanding entertainment system!

Chief

4 Likes

In terms of using our own m3u and guide. I noticed after i recorded a movie it put it into tv shows???

Your xmltv would need to tag movies correctly using <keyword>movie</keyword> or <category>Movie</category>

Oh okay. That makes sense.

I assume this is also why when selecting the filters movies or tv shows I don’t see anything from the provider (m3u)?

Correct.

Thanks for the quick replies.

One last question, are providers known for adding these tags?

I don't know what providers you're talking about. We don't support any kind of pay IPTV. If you are using of these services which offer thousands of streams for a few dollars, then they are likely pirated and will be shut down sooner or later.

Our M3U integration is meant for interoperability with your other software/hardware like SAT>IP, TVHeadend, VBox, security cameras, etc.

2 Likes

Some (most?) providers limit the number of concurrent streams you can have. For instance, Locast says 4, Netflix says 3, etc. (That's not to say that you can use Netflix with Channels, just an example of a stream limit.) By setting this artificial limit, Channels will not try to use that source/playlist for more than the supported number of streams. Otherwise, you might get timeouts, or your account may get locked.

Thank you, that's very helpful, and makes perfect sense. Are you aware of any limit on concurrent streams from Pluto.tv?

It’s on USA-DITV508-DEFAULT, I didn’t have problems initially mapping channels a few days ago. Just started getting the errors yesterday.

Recording seems to be an issue with channels added this way, likely due to the holes in guide data. I have 3 shows set to record about around 4 am, with similar but different names, but only the first one gets scheduled. I've run into this a few other times in the past, is there a way to force all to record? If there isn't to do this, it would be extremely helpful if it were added. Here are the show titles:

Jimi Hendrix: The Uncut Story: 1942-1961
Jimi Hendrix: The Uncut Story: 1961-1967
Jimi Hendrix: The Uncut Story: 1967-1970

So each shows up differently in the guide, but the DVR treats them all as the same show.

I'm curious, does channelsdvr look at the whole title block when scheduling recordings, or does it only look at a specific character count. It would explain why the shows above didn't record properly if it only looks at a specific character count in the title block instead of the whole block.

I thought about sticking this post elsewhere, but figured I'm probably not the only one that has hit up against this already and decided here was better.

Thanks!

Chief

Can we move the file to movies within channels?

Submitted diagnostics again.
Another request is - please add option to change channel numbers on main TVE DVR channels.
Most of my news channels exist on DVR and i would like to add missing news channels from m3u playlist and keep in order xx for easy channel surfing/switching instead of tuning to 6xxxx.
Thank

@sjsaleem If you want to stream from the DVR itself then you will need to use stream.mpg format not master.m3u8

Would need to see the original xmltv <programme> for these to understand what's going on.

Could you expand. I thought all streams, not from the HDHomeRun unit, are to and from the DVR.

It's being fed in by the PlutoTV docker app, if that's what you are talking about. If not, point me in the right direction so I can get you what you need.

Thanks,
Chief