BETA: Custom Channels via M3U Playlists

I'm on AppleTV and it's not freezing or crashing or requiring me to touch the remote, it's just pausing... and then resuming a couple of minutes later without any commercials.

I'm kind of appreciating it, actually, now that I know what's happening and that it's not actually frozen.

2 Likes

Ah, I was worried perhaps I had ruffled feathers unexpectedly. I know not to expect it to work perfectly, but I suspect Pluto may do whatever they're doing with this channel with newer, forthcoming channels... whatever that is. I've noticed that if I leave it it does resume in the show... but if you join the feed in a commercial break, you have to back out and come back once the show resumes or you're forever stuck in the commercial break. Good to know this isn't just happening on Android, as you have an Apple TV. Pluto must be doing something different with this channel for some reason. However, because of that freezing, trying to watch any recording back, the same freezing happens in the recording.

No feathers ruffled. I was just trying to set expectations on how this stuff works. The Pluto docker project is doing nothing but providing the custom channels, you shouldn't expect performance to change with any of it's updates. Just channel configuration and EPG information.

1 Like

Ah ok!! :smile: good to know - wasn't sure at first if there was any connection to it. Sounds like it must be something Pluto is doing specifically with the "TPIR: The Barker Era" channel. Any ideas what it could be? So far, it's happening to both Apple TV and Shield users. I certainly don't expect Channels to fix it if it's something on Pluto's end... but maybe something you could tell us that we can't necessarily see on the surface? P.S. - THANK YOU for the Docker solution... it's really awesome to run that all locally.

Also, don't know if this helps diagnose what's happening... but I just discovered if I pause the channel while in program and then come back later, as Channels plays...it just straight up skips the commercials as though they were never even there. That's the first time I've seen that happen in a Pause scenario. Maybe the program stream is completely separate from the commercial stream and Channels app is having trouble switching between the two on the fly?

1 Like

Given that, I'm choosing to feel grateful that it works as well as it does, right out of the gate! "Price is Right with Bob Barker" is perfect "background TV" and my stream has been playing happily all day. No blaring commercials either, just occasional silence. Kinda like CNN does, on their TVE stream :slight_smile:

1 Like

THAT is very true @Fofer! I would like to record these though since it seems once they air... a new set replaces the rotation the next day, so might be the only time we see these!!

Not sure what I did wrong.

I downloaded the update, deleted the old image, ran the new image - Can't access via localhost anymore.

I see this in the log(?) --> "/usr/src/app/entrypoint.sh: line 35: Wed: not found"

Anyone have any ideas?

You may need to re-add the Pluto source in Channels DVR. I had to do that yesterday.

Pull the docker image again. I messed it up. It should be all good now with v1.0.17

2 Likes

Well I don't get the error any longer. But I still can't access localhost:8080.

1 Like

Were you responding to me? Why did you need to re-add? Were you having the localhost issue?
Thanks

It was when I was switching over from the earlier-mentioned playlist solution to Maddox's local docker. Even though I had edited and changed the URL in Channels DVR, it was still pointing to the old location. I had to remove it and re-add it and then it all worked.

Got it.

Note to self: Actually READ what is written.....

docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --name pluto-for-channels -p 8080:80 jonmaddox/pluto-for-channels

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The day before yesterday I got an email from Pluto about some new channels, among which is Showtime Selects. I found it and watched it a bit (in Channels DVR) and it had some pretty good content with no commercials. So I favorited the channel and even set a couple things to record. Everything worked very well. However, the channel completely disappeared the next day. I can still find it when I log into Pluto. I don't know if this could be an issue on our end or not but thought I would report it.

1 Like

I am seeing the same issue here. The channel is still live on Pluto. Not sure where the issue is.

1 Like

I just checked.....it's not in the guide json we're pulling from pluto, so it's something on their end.
I saw it too....the number of channels jumped up to 298 for a day, then fell back to 293.

3 Likes

Glad it’s not just me. I had favorited Showtime Select and it disappeared. I was refreshing the xml trying to figure out what had happened.

3 Likes

Finally got this up and running and it’s great. Thanks!