Beta: Downloads and Offline Playback

That should not be the screen you see. Were you using the Testflight beta?

Please submit diagnostics. That screen shouldn't show if you have 1 or more completed downloads.

I tried it at home using Airplane Mode. Test flight beta 12.6.255 on an 2020 iPad. If the app is not already running, the app never starts and gives the message shown above. If the Channels app is running in the background, then, when the app opens, it jumps to the Downloads section and I can play the videos. Switching out of Airplane Mode returns the app to the standard sections.

You're right. I've been able to repro this. We're investigating.

3 Likes

Okay. Just did.

This has been resolved in the latest beta.

1 Like

In the latest update we're showing the storage for a given show on the Downloads list of shows.

1 Like

If anyone is still having problems where Channels is reporting downloads paused because of lack of disk space but the iOS Storage view in settings is reporting lots of free space, please comment here so I can look into it further.

So this isn’t a problem for anyone anymore?

1 Like

I just want to echo everyone else and say this has made me so happy. I love Channels and have been a longtime P13x user. This convinced me to come back and so far so good. Between the spatial audio support and offline downloads, it was the only thing left on my wishlist.

3 Likes

Don't often browse around this area but when I saw something about Downloads on iPad, just had to try it. Fantastic work guys just in time for my vacation. While I'm happy to continue using the beta version and reporting any bugs, do you have any date when it might be released in Production?

Cheers.

Paul

2 Likes

Do you have an estimate of when the download for offline playback feature will be available to the general public

Weird issue here to report, with a question.

Just updated my main channels library using the new metadata editor.

In my case, i loaded in some home videos in mkv format. They play beautifully in channels.

I have one video (its short 350mb or so ).
I decided to test the offline download feature for the first time now that i had a small file to play with, to speed the test up.

So the file downloaded as expected and it appears in the downloaded section as expected.

If im in the library view, and hit the down arrow it appears.
When i tap it to play , channels jumps to a page with empty downloads.

This happens when on wifi, as well as when wifi is turned off..

Is there a restriction for “home videos” on the downloads?

Couple of screenshots to explain

There shouldn’t be. There’s nothing different about how this all works compared to regularly indexed shows. But we’ll check it out.

OK. Please let me know if you need anything further to narrow what im seeing down.

In the meantime Ill download a full episode of something recorded directly into channels vs an imported local item and see if that shows up in downloads

I was able to reproduce this. I’ll check it out!

The program recorded through channels did load in but home video didnt

This was resolved in the latest beta.

3 Likes

Verified fixed here. !
Thank you

1 Like