BETA: Smart Commercial Detection for TVE & Pluto

I have Chromium installed on my raspberry pi. But I've also tried it by accessing the settings from my macbook in both Chrome and Safari and it happens in all of them.

Does the new commercial detection run on Hallmark Channels? All commercial breaks are now skipping several seconds early and coming back a few seconds early.

1 Like

Yes.

2022/02/20 20:00:00.011548 [MTS] Statistics for "TV/Aurora Teagarden Mysteries/Aurora Teagarden Mysteries S01E18 Haunted by Murder 2022-02-20-1800.mpg": skipped=0 unhandled_packets=0 discontinuity_detected=0 transport_errors=0 invalid_pts=0 invalid_dts=0 saw_pcr=true saw_pmt=true highest_pts=7213.288100
2022/02/20 20:00:00.067372 [ADS] Detected 18 commercial markers in file-10725: TV/Aurora Teagarden Mysteries/Aurora Teagarden Mysteries S01E18 Haunted by Murder 2022-02-20-1800.mpg
2022/02/20 20:00:00.141952 [DVR] Finished job 1645408800-55 Aurora Teagarden Mysteries
2022/02/20 20:00:00.281482 [DVR] Processing file-10725: TV/Aurora Teagarden Mysteries/Aurora Teagarden Mysteries S01E18 Haunted by Murder 2022-02-20-1800.mpg

You can tell from the ADS entry in the log, and that commercials were flagged in under 1s.

If you see an ADS entry in the logs, that means it was the new detection. Comskip detection has DVR entries both for the beginning and the completion of detection.

1 Like

It needs tweaking. Old comskip did not cut out early. Now each time it skips you have to go back to play the last few seconds of the show before each commercial break.

1 Like

On what channels? It works perfect for me on discovery and history. 100%

As I said in my post Hallmark

1 Like

Since we're talking about Hallmark and smart commercial detection, would you be able to check if you have this issue?

I have that. Seems like they throw in a black frame to cause havoc with commercial detection.

1 Like

I've been recording The Price is Right on Pluto, both before and after the change. Prior commercial detection was perfect. Now it's missing quite a few commercials.

The new commercial detection works well on most of the channels it covers, but for some reason with Hallmark it has issues. The code is marking the breaks early in and early out. Catching the last 5 seconds of the commercial is not a big deal, but the early in point in the EDL means you lose dialog at each break.

2 Likes

I am in the process of sifting through some Nick Jr. recordings and I am finding that the initial commercial detection needs improvement. Specifically, I am recording Blaze and the Monster Machines from Nick Jr. via TVE. Most of the recordings I've worked with so far (Four out of 5) required a manual commercial redetect.

The initial commercial detection resulted in what I am guessing are hundreds of 5 second or less segment detections throughout a 30 minute recording. In some cases, there were segments that included the same smaller segments interspersed with a single large segment of 20-30 minutes.

Redetecting commercials with the Comskip method fixes the detections.

Not sure if this is still in active development but figured I'd share my experience. Logs have been submitted as 8c3a40de-8976-4276-b54f-c353c2e5dc35.

I am also experiencing the same issue on the Hallmark channels, where the commercial markings are negatively offset by 5 seconds: the last 5 seconds of each content segment are marked as commercials, and the last 5 seconds of each commercial break are marked as content.

Interestingly, the smart commercial detection is consistently early by 5 seconds for Hallmark recordings. I've verified this across multiple recordings on the latest pre-releases at the time of recording over the last two months. The earliest Hallmark recording I have that used the smart commercial detection was from January 9, 2022, and it has the same 5 second offset issue.

Next build will turn off smart detect on those channels

For Hallmark, would adding a 5 second positive offset to compensate be possible instead?

If I may, completely disabling this feature on Hallmark was not the resolution I had hoped for; despite the consistent 5 second negative offset, the smart commercial detection is excellent at differentiating between commercials and content on the Hallmark channels.

1 Like

Hallmark does some funny things with their shows. They add in some black frames around commercials and I think that throws off some of the commercial detection. I'll pull a show from 2.27.2022 and see if there's any correlation between that constant 5 second offset and the black frames being introduced.

I recorded some videos on pluto vevo channels (9434) and it did not detect any commercials. Reran detection and it was almost perfect

Can you remove the new detection from the Vevo channels on Pluto (and the Price is Right Channel - old detection was near perfect).

All 11 of them?

Vevo '70s                (Pluto Channel 894)
Vevo '80s                (Pluto Channel 895)
Vevo '90s                (Pluto Channel 896)
Vevo 2K                  (Pluto Channel 897)
Vevo Country             (Pluto Channel 892)
Vevo Latino              (Pluto Channel 887)
Vevo Pop                 (Pluto Channel 885)
Vevo R&B                 (Pluto Channel 890)
Vevo Reggaetón & Trap    (Pluto Channel 888)
Vevo Retro Rock          (Pluto Channel 893)
Vevo True School Hip-Hop (Pluto Channel 880)

Your channel 9434 is not everyones 9434 (I don't have that channel# in my Pluto lineup).

1 Like

Yes, I noticed it too.

1 Like

I’ve recorded from the 80s, 90s, and retro rock channel and noticed little to no commercial detection using the new method.

I have to agree.
I recorded one program each from Vevo '70s and Vevo Retro Rock.
Smart detection was way off, only marking tiny sections of 2 ads in 2 of the 3 commercial blocks.
Comskip was much better (but nowhere near perfect).
Timestamps were messed up in both recordings.

1 Like