BETA - STRM file support for Imports

Added

First, LOVE the potential of this feature. But I too am unable to grasp how to generate a STRM link. I understand the mechanics, but for instance, how can one find STRM links for media purchased from Apple?

I can use the https://tools.applemediaservices.com link to generate a STRMLINK and that works. But I can't figure out how to get the link to the actual file, since the file plays in the TV app.

Any help would be highly appreciated. I have quite a few movies purchased from Apple (1700+), and I am not averse to spending time building the URLs to the actual files if shown how.

1 Like

It's not possible to use STRM with apple content.

1 Like

@tmm1 I know this is being awfully picky but figured Iā€™d let you know since Iā€™d want to knowā€¦I noticed tonight that even though STRM files save the playback location, it doesnā€™t add the corresponding green bar on the episode image like it does for shows that are stored locally. Not sure if this is a limitation of STRM files or an oversight but figured Iā€™d let you knowā€¦take it for what itā€™s worth! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I'm new to strm links and strm files in channels but would it be possible to have a strm file point to a stream so it can play directly through channels vs only accepting a link to a direct file?

Thatā€™s how strm files work. Youā€™re describing how strmlnk files work.

Oops didn't realize this was still in beta, I should have posted here, instead of a new feature request:

Got it, I'm used to strm files in jellyfin/emby that can contain links to url streams or direct link to a file but all play through the native player if possible.

Then is it possible for strmlnk urls to play natively through channels?

No, thatā€™s what .strm files are for.

.strmlnk files are ones that direct to other apps and services:

:joy:
I feel like I'm going in circles.
Yes I understand that strm files play natively in channels BUT they only seem to support direct links to files.
When I asked if it is possible for strm files to play url streams, I was told thats what strmlnks are for but they don't play url streams natively so again I'm asking, is it possible with whatever strm format to play a url stream directly in channels like jellyfin/emby are able too?

What do you mean by "direct links to files"

For STRM you put in a URL to a video and then Channels app plays the video. It works the same way as Emby/Jellyfin

Iā€™m also not sure what a ā€œurl streamā€ is in this context.

Whatā€™s the underlying content you are trying to play? Does the filename in your URL end in mp4, mkv, avi, mov, etc? Does that same URL play in the VLC app on your computer?

Or is it a web page with copy-protected content embedded?

You're correct.
It seems strm is the format I'm looking for but it wasn't working when I tried it. After examining the logs there seems to be an issue when trying to play the files.
This is the error I get:
[HLS] Couldn't generate master playlist: Couldn't probe recording:

I play a lot of old films from archive.org and create strm files for them. This works just fine in emby/jellyfin but in channels it fails with that error.

Here's an example URL I'm trying to play.
https://ia800400.us.archive.org/28/items/All.Quiet.on.the.Western.Front.1930_201605/All.Quiet.on.the.Western.Front.1930.mp4

Where are you trying to watch? It only works in the Channels app

I'm trying on the iOS app.

and the accompanying entry in the logs.
2023/02/12 08:31:40.970173 [HLS] Couldn't generate master playlist: Couldn't probe recording: /data/recordings/Imports/Movies/All Quiet on the Western Front.strm

Ohhh interesting, I just tested this on android and it works as expected. Seems to be a bug on iOS.

Is it set to home original in the iOS app?

Home was set to original but my channels-dvr is remote so I'm connecting to it Away from Home.
Internet streaming was set to 8mbps, I changed it to original but that didn't fix it.

Just as a data point, I created a STRM file with this URL, imported it into Channels DVR, and tested it on my AppleTV as well as my iPhone, and the movie played back fine on both. I then turned WiFi off my iPhone, force-quit and relaunched the Channels app just for good measure, and tried again, and this time it failed with the same error you got. My Streaming Quality is set to Cellular Streaming.

Okay there's a bug with STRM when playing remotely then