BETA: TMDB metadata for TV episodes

I would prefer the show and episodes get matched by TMDB and pull the artwork from gracenote if needed. Is this on the roadmap?

Gracenote images can only be used with their metadata.

Seemed to work, I'll keep an eye out for when an episode I haven't added in a previous test becomes available or just make up something new to test tomorrow and will let you know if there are any issues.

Not for me:

Gotcha. At least for series with a lot of episodes it makes manually fixing those individually a lot better. Just having to manipulate the show at series level one time is a time saver.

Out of curiosity, do you only allow the placard size for TV Series images due to the limitation with Gracenote's images? It is very hard for some old series shows to find good placard sized images. Thumb size is much easier to make and find. I get it though if Gracenote doesn't provide that size.

Is it difficult on the coding size to allow Thumb sized images?

You could edit the metadata to add whatever images you want. But the Channels api UI expects 4:3 aspect ratio and other images won't look good in that layout. It's not easy to redo the layout, nor would it work if some images are 4:3 and others aren't.

1 Like

Okay, with this version...

... I now get this...

... instead of this...

Is that because of this?

Also, I added a net new show that was not in Gracenote and didn't match, did the TMDB Match, and then added an episode. It immediately pulled the new episode description, so I think I can confirm that one fixed!

how do you deal with specials in tv shows - i have them set for moviedb but they don't match

I don't know whether this will be the case for your show but, a lot of times, specials are labeled as season 0 (zero).

Maybe try: name_of_show - S00E01.mpg.

this is what i have it labeled as but it shows up as recordings instead of specials

s00 works for theTVDB, but Ive found that Specials in TMDB tend to be completely separate shows.

Current state of the Beta as far as I can tell. Please correct if wrong.

• Show episodes that appear at TMDB will be matched if the S#E# in the imported filename matches TMDB
  • Show special episodes (Season 0) will not get matched, even if they appear at TMDB
  • Fix match at the episode level still only uses Gracenote and we cannot fix match by searching TMDB for Episode Title, only S#E#

Can you provide some examples of TMDB specials and check how they appear in their API?

There's one here

TMDB website list 98 Specials in Season 0 Top Gear: Season 0 (2003) — The Movie Database (TMDB)

Okay new prerelease should scan in specials

Okay, I got this to work with Star Wars Rebels that was previously matched to Gracenote (not the Specials, though). However, when I changed it to TMDB the Specials did not update. I had to completely remove the Stream Link files, purge, and re-add them, then they matched.

Also, they still remained under the "# Recordings" category instead of being something like "Season 0".

Fixed in next build

How do I trigger it to rescan

Still doesn’t show up

EDIT: okay so it does sorta work after i rematch to moviedb - but it still shows the specials as # Recordings - not Specials

Another observation - Lets say your tv show incorrectly scans - like this one

(Should be the British As time goes by from 92)

If you first go to moviedb and scan and select the correct match this will happen

The episodes are now correctly done - but the tv show itself is still matched to the bad gracenote - you have to match correctly to gracenote and then to moviedb to have the right stuff - and you can never get moviedb show description

I agree it seems... funky.

You don't get the show artwork or show summary from TMDB, those come from Gracenote.
You only get the episode titles and descriptions from TMDB.

I played around and imported a single season 0 episode and matched it to a totally unrelated show with gracenote, then matched it to tmdb.
The display of the episode was still wrong when viewing it from dvr manage shows.
The show appeared with the correct title in Library shows.

Not quite there yet.

Confirmed in a test.

Agree, they should be in something like "Specials" or "Season 0", not # Recordings.