BETA: TMDB metadata for TV episodes

How do I trigger it to rescan

Still doesn’t show up

EDIT: okay so it does sorta work after i rematch to moviedb - but it still shows the specials as # Recordings - not Specials

Another observation - Lets say your tv show incorrectly scans - like this one

(Should be the British As time goes by from 92)

If you first go to moviedb and scan and select the correct match this will happen

The episodes are now correctly done - but the tv show itself is still matched to the bad gracenote - you have to match correctly to gracenote and then to moviedb to have the right stuff - and you can never get moviedb show description

I agree it seems... funky.

You don't get the show artwork or show summary from TMDB, those come from Gracenote.
You only get the episode titles and descriptions from TMDB.

I played around and imported a single season 0 episode and matched it to a totally unrelated show with gracenote, then matched it to tmdb.
The display of the episode was still wrong when viewing it from dvr manage shows.
The show appeared with the correct title in Library shows.

Not quite there yet.

Confirmed in a test.

Agree, they should be in something like "Specials" or "Season 0", not # Recordings.

I'll check this out. I believe this is shown as Extras in the client. I'll try to get it doing the same in web.

OK, please try with the latest pre-release, I think things should be rendered better now. I'm working on the tvOS client next.

No difference with 2023.05.15.1555
Am I holding the remote wrong again?

file to import is
TV/Top Gear (2002)/Season 0/Top Gear - S00E01 - Series 1 Best of.mp4

log shows
2023/05/15 18:24:13.757288 [SCN] Imported TV episode #1450 Top Gear (2002)/Season 0/Top Gear - S00E01 - Series 1 Best of.mp4

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 18-25-47 Channels Top Gear

Clicking on Top Gear (2002) below leads to http://192.168.1.3:8189/admin/shows/tmdb%2F45 displaying No recordings found for show.

That’s rendering correctly. If you had actual seasons in there, it would group that into an Extras section on its own. But it’s the only item there.

Oh, that looks much better now!

Now I can take all those things Disney+ puts into a separate program as "shorts" and have them with the main show. Yay!

1 Like

much better thank you

1 Like

Any possibility we could have it pull the show summary from TMDB?
I know it was stated the TMDB show artwork is the wrong aspect ratio, but why not the show summary.

I'm trying that option right now. I am curious, though.

Why does it seem EVERY show from the Food Network differ so much from gracenote? I would think the Food Network KNOWS the episodes better than gracenote. Seems like somewhere 5 years ago the numbering system went wonkey.

The Pioneer Woman and Diners Drive Ins and Dives come to mind. TPW on zap2it even has season 32 completely non existent.

Ooooooh....does this mean theres a chance to support scobbling via Trakt directly on the app instead of using JF, Plex or Emby?

Thank you thank you thank you!!!! I accidentally discovered this today. What a pleasant surprise!

I've been using thetvdb (TVDB) for naming my TV show rips and themoviedb (TMDB) for my movies. Now that channels supports TMDB for shows, I've used it to match several shows that are missing in Gracenote (or don't resolve from basic search) that I previously added manually. I'm finding some shows have different episode numbers in TVDB vs TMDB.

Is there any chance to support TVDB for shows as well? It seems like TMDB isn't as authoritative or complete for shows vs TVDB or at least that's my impression. I originally thought they were both from the same organization based on the naming and frequent linking from TVDB to TMDB for movies, but it appears they are run by different parties.

1 Like

Interesting and good to know. I suppose I will switch to using TMDB for TV show episode naming.

I have a TV Movie I can't get to match with TMDB or Gracenote, it is Alice Through the Looking Glass (1998).
It is on TMDB here: Alice Through the Looking Glass (1998) — The Movie Database (TMDB)
But won't match with that name. Are TV Movies being filtered out?

1 Like

Are you importing it as a movie?

I see it on both:

Although Gracenote has a different year: