BETA: TMDB metadata for TV episodes

much better thank you

1 Like

Any possibility we could have it pull the show summary from TMDB?
I know it was stated the TMDB show artwork is the wrong aspect ratio, but why not the show summary.

I'm trying that option right now. I am curious, though.

Why does it seem EVERY show from the Food Network differ so much from gracenote? I would think the Food Network KNOWS the episodes better than gracenote. Seems like somewhere 5 years ago the numbering system went wonkey.

The Pioneer Woman and Diners Drive Ins and Dives come to mind. TPW on zap2it even has season 32 completely non existent.

Ooooooh....does this mean theres a chance to support scobbling via Trakt directly on the app instead of using JF, Plex or Emby?

Thank you thank you thank you!!!! I accidentally discovered this today. What a pleasant surprise!

I've been using thetvdb (TVDB) for naming my TV show rips and themoviedb (TMDB) for my movies. Now that channels supports TMDB for shows, I've used it to match several shows that are missing in Gracenote (or don't resolve from basic search) that I previously added manually. I'm finding some shows have different episode numbers in TVDB vs TMDB.

Is there any chance to support TVDB for shows as well? It seems like TMDB isn't as authoritative or complete for shows vs TVDB or at least that's my impression. I originally thought they were both from the same organization based on the naming and frequent linking from TVDB to TMDB for movies, but it appears they are run by different parties.

1 Like

Interesting and good to know. I suppose I will switch to using TMDB for TV show episode naming.

I have a TV Movie I can't get to match with TMDB or Gracenote, it is Alice Through the Looking Glass (1998).
It is on TMDB here: Alice Through the Looking Glass (1998) — The Movie Database (TMDB)
But won't match with that name. Are TV Movies being filtered out?

1 Like

Are you importing it as a movie?

I see it on both:

Although Gracenote has a different year:

I imported it TV, since its a TV Movie? Should TV Movies be imported as Movies instead?

If I try searching on a movie, I see it on both.

It is matching as Alice Through the Looking Glass (2010) from Gracenote:

Interestingly, this 2010 item shows up in show or movie search via Gracenote but shows up in neither via TMDB.

If it’s a movie, it should be imported as a movie. It doesn’t matter if it originally aired on TV, in a theater, or on streaming.

The TV and Movie indexers expect completely different things and scan them in completely differently.

1 Like

There are some exceptions to this, especially with certain Hallmark (mystery) movies, at least as far as Gracenote is concerned. Most of those are categorized as a TV series, with each movie as an "episode".

I previously fixed a match on a TV Show that wasn't in Gracenote using TMDB (I think, maybe I forced it via zap2it number?), this was several months ago. Now I just added more episodes to that show's folder. Channels found the new episodes but matched them as a separate instance of the same show. I have tried re-matching each show, but I cannot get them to merge together. Any ideas?

The show is Bluey.

Left: Existing show
Right: New show channels created

This is the second time I've tried this, I'm pretty sure it didn't say Bluey: Review the first time and instead said Bluey (2018) for the new show.

Edit: Also, I know I could remove all of the files and then re-add and re-scan, then they should all show up together as the same show. BUT-- I feel like I may have stumbled into a bug.

Is there a way to have all media default to TMDB for matching?

No, but with the work being done here, it won't matter eventually.

Does that apply for both TV Shows and Movies?
I ask because in Plex/Emby/Jellyfin I am able to match Movies/TV Shows a lot more successfully but in Channels I consistently have to go and fix incorrect matches.
I know that naming plays a part but it always seems to be an issue with shows from multiple countries, for example Married at First Sight, Channels always matches to the original swedish ver even though the directory/file names have the country code (US), (UK) applied.

Right now, it does not yet, but this is the goal of the initiative.

Right now we match TV shows against Gracenote, our guide data provider, because we have to. The goal of this initiative is to eventually NOT have to.

I have this same problem - what did you end up doing to fix this? (NEVER MIND - I saw another post on how to fix)