BUG: Guide does not update if a channel is streaming

I seem to recall a previous post about this issue, but I could not find it just now so I'm creating a new post.

While watching TV in the Android app for an extended period of time (3 hours+) on the same channel, the guide data does not seem to update. If you pause while watching the stream, the portion on the right of the progress bar that normally shows the next program is blank. Likewise, if the Quick Guide is pulled down, the channels in the list only show the icon for the channel; none of the channels have any guide info displaying.

I believe this occurs because the initial loading of guide data on the client is limited to 3–4 hours. However, it seems that the app does not pull down guide data while viewing a stream. Backing out of the channel and returning to the guide (or any other screen in the app) will trigger a refresh of guide data.

Does the app not pull in guide updates while streaming a channel? Is this limited to the Android client? Also, I have noticed this behavior both while at home, as well as when using the Remote DVR functionality, so this does not appear to be a factor.

I'm bumping this issue because it still remains. I've noticed it especially over the past 2 weeks. When watching a live channel, the guide will no longer update in the background. So, if I have the news on for a couple hours in the background, and then bring down the quick guide to see what else is playing on the favorites, the only thing that shows are channel logos. If I back out to the main guide, it remains blank for a bit before it refreshes from the server.

This occurs equally when viewing locally or remotely. I believe I saw a post about this for AppleTV clients as well. I am using a Fire Stick, but I believe this affects all Android clients. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've noticed this behavior again the last few days. I thought that perhaps it had been fixed, but apparently not.

This is happening with Fire TV Stick 4K devices running 2.1.10, and the server is running the latest pre-releases—presently that's 2019.08.28.0601.

The Quick Guide only shows channel logos, and backing out of the playback to return to the On Now screen also only showed channel logos; no guide information was populated. Only after navigating to the Guide screen did the guide data pull from the server and refresh.

I had thought the problem had been fixed as I hadn't noticed it for quite a while. However it has now happened several times in the past week. This is happening when connected locally, and regardless of whether Tuner Sharing is enabled or not. (I had originally thought that it might play a role, but it makes no difference.)

The release notes for 2.1.11 on Android/FireTV state:

FIXED In-player guide would fail to update while watching live TV for a long time.

I think this is in reference to this bug. However, it does not seem to be fixed, as I am still experiencing this under 2.1.11 on multiple FireTV 4K sticks. Pressing "Menu" to bring up the Quick Guide shows several channels where only the channel logo is shown, with no program information given.

Also, when backing out to the menu, if a program was selected from the "On Now" tab, the guide information there does not update, either. Instead, a grid of channel logos is seen with no program information given. The only way to force the guide to update is to change to the "Guide" tab and wait for the client to pull updated guide information from the server.

I've noticed this bug since I've been using Channels—a bit over a year now—and other than this notice in the release notes for 2.1.11, have seen no acknowledgement of this bug ...

I happed on some code that was obviously wrong related to this, and remembered this bug being mentioned somewhere. Bummer that the fix didn't resolve this issue.

With 2.1.20, this is still happening. Is this a regression, or still an undiscovered bug?

I have noticed the few times i have used Channels app on my tablet, that the quick quide does not update to the next show while u are watching...close channel and re openit updates.