Yup Gen2. When you get a chance if you could let me know what you use to mount them that would be awesome!! Once actual prime day happens I'm planning on cheap ethernet adapters but these honestly sit right next to my router so they should be fine for FastChannels and hopefully will tune faster than my ospreys.
Rackmount approach here:
Ultra-compact, minimal approach here:
is that Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Plus ?
Great post!!!
I picked up (2) new ones so no need to buy the ONN stick!!
Nothing beats an early deal!!!!
No, he bought the FireStick 4K Max (Gen2).
The new units are limited to two but the like new ones I placed a couple of orders and was able to stock up. I did this at 8 am and so far no cancellation notice.
I am not a CableCard refugee ... yet. I have Spectrum and they are still supporting CableCards for the time being.
However, they recently completed their high-split upgrade in my area. They provided a high-split converter to replace my old tuning adapter and I am getting all my channels through my HDHomeRun Prime. The drawback is that the "upgrade" actually downgraded all my formerly 1080i channels to 720p and I'm pretty bummed about that. While I record from several channels, the only channel I truly care about is TCM. I really want to get my 1080i/1080p resolution back for that channel, and hopefully retain the Dolby 5.1 audio as well.
I am intrigued by the various setups by users here, but I'm wondering how these setups handle HDCP. Is there any way for me to achieve 1080i/1080p through either the Watch TCM app or the TCM channel on the Spectrum TV app? Maybe with a LinkPi or URay encoder and a streaming device (e.g., Apple TV, Onn, Firestick)? I could even connect one of my Spectrum STBs to an encoder if the encoder can handle the HDCP handshake.
My searches are bringing up conflicting information about whether any of this can be done due to HDCP restrictions. I'm willing to spend some money on the necessary equipment, but only if I can be fairly certain it will all perform as I want/need.
I would be grateful and appreciative if anyone can offer some advice or guidance. 
My understanding is that HDCP is not an issue as long as you're under 4K, I have both of my provider's Android TV STBs hooked to encoders and there's no handshake problem.
You can get up to 1080p output from your Spectrum boxes but you will only get stereo sound from all encoders and capture devices. There's ways to get your Spectrum channels directly without boxes and that's the route I would take with Channels. Search for Spectrum here, you'll see tons of posts about it.
There's ways to get your Spectrum channels directly without boxes and that's the route I would take with Channels.
Thanks so much for replying! Do you mean like through the Spectrum TV app on a streaming device connected to an encoder?
I'm still looking through Spectrum-related posts, but so far most have to do with TVE-related issues/topics. TVE is great to have, but it's only 720p for me.
is this the desired one? best buy and homedepot have them on sale and I figure I should diversify too
Yes.
Yep, that's the main route. But again the limitation is that you're only going to get stereo sound.
Cheap way to try this would be to have a streaming device that can run the Spectrum app, get a USB capture stick and then follow the USB capture thread to set it up. I have one of those and it works great, picture quality is excellent. ADBtuner project here may have support for Spectrum, not sure. I think that ah4c does as well as the HDMI encoder for native apps project. Fastchannels is also working on this and you don't need the Spectrum app for that (I think). Lots of reading!
You could also look into Prismcast here which has Spectrum support. No hardware needed but you do need to have a relatively modern PC to run it.
We are blessed to have many alternatives now that TVE is slowly going away. I have multiple sources for all of the channels that I like to watch.
A post was merged into an existing topic: ADBTuner: A "channel tuning" application for networked Google TV / Android TV devices
For those in the Northeast, this place has them on sale and will sell you basically the store if you ask nicely. They don't really seem to have a limit on how many they can sell, it's just how many they have. They aren't the first gen. Like that picture seems to indicate. They are the new ones. Just an out-of-date photo.
Unfortunately, they're just basically New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, with one Philadelphia location in PA. But I was able to snag seven from two of their locations, just buying them all at one and having to go to another one for the last one because the first one just didn't have more than six. Just basically walk into the store and be nice and ask. I just told them I was using them for nerdy stuff, and they didn't care. I believe they work off of commission, so they're happy to sell you things.
Just another tip: Best Buy, if you go in store, will sell you three if they have them. Just ask for three, basically, and they'll ring up. They just won't ring up for any more than three because of the POS system. But if you go to another Best Buy, you can potentially get another couple of units.
I've been in a P.C. Richard & Son a long time ago while working on the road. 
I only need 2 (well 1, but if you need 1 you'll probably need a 2nd.. lol)
I ordered ship to store from home depot, monday or tuesday.
it's easier for me to track receipts since I buy alot of my DeWalt there.
Why not just get them on Amazon? $45
pretty sure they were full price yesterday for me. gotta love dynamic pricing 
They have a very hard limit on how many you can buy.
So if you want more than two, you can't buy more than two. With PC Richard, it was the same price as Amazon, but I could get a bunch. Same deal with Best Buy. They have the same price as Amazon, but you can buy three and then potentially go to another Best Buy and buy another three if you wanted while they're on sale for this price before they're discontinued.
Be careful with Xfinity. I just changed my internet plan and they disabled one of my two cablecards without me asking. Now they are refusing to activate it again because they no longer provide support. At least it is a reminder of why I'm moving away from all their services.
Try asking again on a good weather day mid week when you have a chance of getting somone that's not feeling rushed and that might have some sympathy.