Cannot get stream files to work

Hi

Really impressed with and very happy with Channels.

I've tried and can almost but can't get streamfiles to work.

I created a link to The Orville on Hulu by copying the url for the particular episode. I've pasted the url to my browser and the program starts playing.

I have the folder structure imports/tv/The Orville and the file whose contents, 0103.strm , which contains the text of the url is in that folder.

Everything in getchannels app looks fine. I wait about an hour or more then click the pick to play the program and get an error message - can't find recording -17

Would appreciate any help in what I need to do

thanks

Alan

the file should be named S01E03.strmlnk

that will open the hulu app and play that episode there

Thanks for your help...here is the latest

I set up another file with type strmlnk and containing the url of orville on hulu episode. It worked but asked me to enter my id and password and then choose who is viewing the content then showed the episode. This was on my appletv 4k device. Only convenience was watching within Channels.

I suspect the strm file was looking for hulu id and pw as well as it just showed spinning circle when starting and then can't find recording

Please let me know if I'm missing something or otherwise won't use these features

thanks

Alan

1 Like

Just to help you out with some terminology here:

• "Stream Links" (files that end in .strmlnk) are links to content that give you a "bookmark" in the Channels DVR interface, but open and play in another app. You should only ever have to log in to your app once, but you will probably often have to select which profile is playing if you have multiple ones.
  • "Stream Files" (files that end in .strm) are links to content that play in the Channels DVR interface directly, but the link must be to a playable file (i.e., something that ends in .mp4, mpeg, .mov, .avi, etc...). These cannot be used for streaming services like Hulu because you do not get a direct link to the file; you only get a link to play within their own interface.
  • If you want a streaming service's content directly in the Channels DVR interface, you can use a service like PlayOn or any of the alternatives to download the files directly. The benefit of PlayOn is a direct integration with Channels.

This board is full of good information on all of the above. The many insightful people here have posted tons of info on all of these subjects and more, so I recommend doing some searching and giving a read before you throw away many wonderful features after a little bit of a hiccup.

Also, the Devs are working on a number of additional changes. For instance, I believe in the near future we'll be able to use Chrome Capture for Channels with .strm files or something similar, which would give a way to have something like Hulu directly in the Channels DVR interface.

3 Likes