Change client autoskip behavior per channel, per show or temporary while viewing recording

I agree 100% with the two posts above. When auto-comskip nails it, it's great -- feels magical -- best software ever! But when it misses the mark it's certainly annoying, and feature refinements like this would minimize the annoyance factor, quite a bit.

Big agreement on #2. I would settle for the ability to temporarily change the autoskip setting from the options menu while watching a recording.

Not upvoting the suggestion because the OP combined two completely unrelated suggestions in a single post and used a non-descriptive title.

Not missing the point, just asking for per channel behavior too since you brought up the general issue that comskip is not content configurable.

Piling on in other words. ; )

Fixed now :grin: vote away!

If I were a Channels developer, I might have some trepidation over adding an autoskip setting on a per-channel or per-show basis. It might generate quite a few support requests from folks who change the setting, forget about it, and then complain that autoskip isn't working for some programs.

A temporary change from the options menu while watching something seems relatively safe.

Show based commercial skip style has been added to tvOS and iOS:

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks for this change.

This is exactly why we didn’t want to do it :joy:

But I did it anyways ¯(°_o)/¯ RIP our support inbox.

Auto reply with a FAQ link.

I just got home and tried to find it on the TVOS client and I didn’t see it. Checked for a new version of the app but it says I’m up to date. Of course I did upgrade the server. What do I need to do to make this show up and is there a way you can also put it on the “manage season pass” screen? Thanks.

You have to use the beta version of the app.

Thanks. I got it working on ATV. Is there any way to add this to the pass options? Apparently (unless I’m missing something) I can’t get to show options unless I already have one recorded. This goes back to what I’ve mentioned before about things being so segmented in Channels. It would be great if all options could be reached from anywhere in the app. I really appreciate you adding this option though.

Problem with adding those kinds of things to a pass is that passes can record more than one show or movie depending on how they're setup.

Title CONTAINS something
Channel CONTAINS major networks
Time CONTAINS 8pm, 9pm, 10pm

I suppose but the ones I have setup only record one show. Still would be nice to have the ability to get to these settings more easily, especially when I don’t currently have a show recorded and can’t access “show options.”

Passes and shows are completely separate data items. The setting is for a show. Passes create recordings.

I understand the frustration, but this isn’t something that is going to change.

Okay thanks. I just come from TiVo where everything was more user friendly. Channels is great but TiVo had some of those little niceties. :slight_smile: So there is no way to set this globally for a show then? Is it something that will need to be changed for every recording?

TiVo was different than a modern media center. TiVo was 100% about recordings and didn’t care about a library of content like modern software like Channels.

That made sense because storage was limited and no one archived anything. 20 years later we have the ability to build up large libraries of local content, and that’s how Channels is designed.

With the means we have today, we’re able to record and import so much content, presenting them as a library instead of a running list of a few recordings is important (even if we still do provide that facility)

DVR in Channels is less about 10 or so recordings available at a time, and is more of a means to build out that library. So comparing the two aren’t exactly apples to apples.

It’s a setting per show. You set it in the Show’s options, along with the other options it has. It’s not per recording. Once you set it for the show, it’s respected for all of its recordings.

Okay great. Is there a way to get to a show’s options when there is no copy of that show currently recorded?

Only way I can think of would be to import an episode of the show and match it using Gracenote data.
Of course you can't import something you don't have, but that's the only way I know of to do it.

1 Like