Changed Record Directory

I had to move my record directory to a different drive. After doing so, I copied all of my existing recordings into the ‘TV’ folder at the new path (keeping the individual ‘folder per series’ structure intact). Unfortunately, neither the web GUI nor the app are listing those files as available recordings. I can see them sitting in the TV folder in the file explorer, but like I said, not from the server GUI or the app.

I am able to create and play back new recordings from the app. It just isn’t populating the ones that I manually moved. Any insight into why?

1 Like

Did you change the directory, or reinstall it as well?

What kind of system is it installed on?

No reinstall. Just changed the directory, which of course involved restarting the server.

It’s installed on Ubuntu running inside of Virtualbox on Windows 10. Record directory is on an external USB drive being passed through.

So all your passes stayed intact?

And the old recordings still show up but don’t play?

When you restarted the server, did you have to login again and set up your location/guide again?

Passes are all still there. Old (manually moved) recordings don’t show up at all. I can see the files in the directory in Ubuntu, but the server doesn’t seem to find them.

Nope, channel lineup was still in place.

All I did to restart the server was uncheck the ‘DVR’ checkbox, so that the record path was no longer greyed out and I could change it. Once I had done that, I rechecked the box. Nothing else on the settings page was changed.

The DVR doesn’t care if the files are there or not. They should all still show up in the database just like the passes do.

Can you check the log to see if there are any errors or messages about recordings being deleted?

Any luck here?

Did you figure this out?

Sorry for going MIA on this. It’s been a busy week and I haven’t had much time to play with the DVR.

I didn’t confirm anything, but my guess is that your last answer hit on the problem. When I moved it over, I only moved the recording files, not the database folder.

The good news for me was that I only had a couple of recordings at the time, and was able to watch the ones I was missing through network apps on the apple tv.

Do we have a document on how to move Recordings folder to a new DVR?

I would like to move my recordings and passes from my DVR on my Mac Mini (folder on external Drive) to my DVR on my MyCloud 4100 with recordings in a folder on that NAS.

Or… possibly just move my recordings from the external Drive connected to my Mac Mini to the NAS while keeping the DVR on my Mac Mini.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Move your recordings folder to the new machine. Install the DVR from scratch, and select the same folder during setup. A blue prompt will show up asking if you want to restore your recordings and passes.

1 Like

Thank you much!

In moving my extremely large library I have ultimately created 2 libraries. How could I merge the two or move the second into the first? (Trying to manage space on my hard drives to make better use of the free space on each drive)

If you have two different DVRs then there is no way to combine them.

If you have one DVR and want to move some of the files to a separate drive, that is possible using the api in Additional Storage Locations for Channels DVR Recordings

Same DVR, I just had to start recording content to a different Drive while moving all my original content back to it’s home (had to reformat original drive (with original library) so moved it out then back in) and while that original library is being moved back to it’s main drive, I had to start recording to a different drive (same DVR) so want to move that content into the original library.

Did you do a fresh install for the second library, or import from a backup?

If your DVR shows all your recordings on the same server then all you need is to move them all to the same drive.

For the second library I just pointed the DVR to a new Drive and created the new one. So I am currently awaiting my original library to move back to its home drive where I will have more space and point the DVR back to that original library and then hopefully move the content from the second drive into the original.