Changed Record Directory

Any luck here?

Did you figure this out?

Sorry for going MIA on this. It’s been a busy week and I haven’t had much time to play with the DVR.

I didn’t confirm anything, but my guess is that your last answer hit on the problem. When I moved it over, I only moved the recording files, not the database folder.

The good news for me was that I only had a couple of recordings at the time, and was able to watch the ones I was missing through network apps on the apple tv.

Do we have a document on how to move Recordings folder to a new DVR?

I would like to move my recordings and passes from my DVR on my Mac Mini (folder on external Drive) to my DVR on my MyCloud 4100 with recordings in a folder on that NAS.

Or… possibly just move my recordings from the external Drive connected to my Mac Mini to the NAS while keeping the DVR on my Mac Mini.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Move your recordings folder to the new machine. Install the DVR from scratch, and select the same folder during setup. A blue prompt will show up asking if you want to restore your recordings and passes.

1 Like

Thank you much!

In moving my extremely large library I have ultimately created 2 libraries. How could I merge the two or move the second into the first? (Trying to manage space on my hard drives to make better use of the free space on each drive)

If you have two different DVRs then there is no way to combine them.

If you have one DVR and want to move some of the files to a separate drive, that is possible using the api in Additional Storage Locations for Channels DVR Recordings

Same DVR, I just had to start recording content to a different Drive while moving all my original content back to it’s home (had to reformat original drive (with original library) so moved it out then back in) and while that original library is being moved back to it’s main drive, I had to start recording to a different drive (same DVR) so want to move that content into the original library.

Did you do a fresh install for the second library, or import from a backup?

If your DVR shows all your recordings on the same server then all you need is to move them all to the same drive.

For the second library I just pointed the DVR to a new Drive and created the new one. So I am currently awaiting my original library to move back to its home drive where I will have more space and point the DVR back to that original library and then hopefully move the content from the second drive into the original.

Yea just move all the mpg files to the same drive and it will work fine.

Ok cool so say for instance I have a folder of “The Walking Dead” then I can just move that folder to the TV Shows folder and it will recognize them? Also… when it is time to point the DVR back to the original library, do I need to just point it to it, or do I need to uninstall and reinstall it?

Only if you can see those Walking Dead episodes in the DVR ui already.

I’m still not really sure what you’re doing or what you mean by “second library”. If you have two installations with different list of passes and list of recordings, then there is no way to combine them.

Haha Thank you so much for your reply I am sure I have made this confusing.

I had to move my original library folder (We will call it Channels DVR folder 1) from (Drive 1) to another (Drive 2) temporarily to format Drive 1 to free up space.

I hadn’t been able to move it back to the drive 1 yet and in the middle of doing so, I needed to start recording some other shows. So I pointed the same DVR (on my mac mini) to a Drive 3 and had it create another (Channels DVR folder 2) to start recording while my original Channels DVR folder 1 is moving back to drive 1 from drive 2 (12 hour transfer time).

So I want to move the shows that were recorded in the Channels DVR folder 2 that are on Drive 3 (Walking Dead, NCIS) back to Channels DVR folder 1 on drive 1 where it will stay.

Hope this clears it up.

Same DVR (on mac Mini) and yes the recordings show in that DVR’s recordings (right now DVR can only access the shows in Channels DVR Folder 2 on Drive 2 while Folder 1 is moving back to drive 1)

DVR currently shows all recordings from original folder 1 and folder 2.

Okay so all you did is uncheck DVR checkbox and point it at a new drive.

If you move all the recordings to the same drive then it will work as expected. There is no need to restart or reinstall. Just uncheck the DVR checkbox and update to the correct drive which has all the recordings in one place.

1 Like

Worked like a charm! Thank you!

1 Like

How do you change where the log files are saved? I changed to a new server but log files are saving on old server hard drive.

Which logs?

nevermind it was logs for something else that was saving in the wrong drive