Channel button on remote

Sorry if this question sounds lame and I don’t know if this is the right forum area to ask but here goes –
My wife and I are close to 70 and while I have no problem with computers and using new remotes ie: Apple Siri without number buttons my wife is still wanting to use these buttons to change channels without having to go back to the EPG and use up/down selectors… funny though she’s proficient using her iPad and iPhone but can’t move away from the selector remote. Is this possible or am I stuck paying the cable provider. I’m slowly trying to wean her off the cable.

I love the Channels app with my HDHR Prime and was hoping the EPG was sufficient but those darn buttons are a hold back!!

Looking forward tor the DVR function capability and hope one can use directly in the app without having to pull out a computer or i device. Plex requires the use of one of these.
“What, now I have to use some other product to change channels? I thought you said this would be easier”

Thanks

The easiest way to change channels while watching tv is by swiping down the Quick Guide to see your favorites.

If you have Channels for iOS, you can also select a channel on your iPhone/iPad and tell it to play on the TV.

Unfortunately the number of buttons on the Siri remote is very limited, and we’re not able to re-use the volume buttons for any other purpose.

Our DVR will also require a computer or NAS, because tvOS does not allow apps to run in the background or to use an external hard drive.

I showed her the option to pull down and move left and right but she still wants those darn buttons. I have a MacMini in the setup – are you saying I will have to load another app $$ onto it or on a NAS and then configure what to record?

How about reprogramming a Logitech remote?

My wife and I are about your age. We have a 5 bedroom house with 8 TV’s. We only use the Apple TV. We had some adjustment to the ATV 4 Remote and the Channels App. My wife had a little resistance at first. When I told her I could put this on the Master Bathroom TV (where she speeds some amount of time) she was sold on it. She said, you mean I can get the same channels as I get on the Master Bedroom TV? The swipe up and going left/right thru favorites is pretty fast. You learn to get pretty fast if you only have 1 remote for every TV. And so much better then multiple remotes and multiple HDMI Sources.

==MORE==
We also do not only use the Channels App on the Apple TV. We also use Netflix, Hulu and HBO Go. I think you will want to get use to the same remote with all of the different Apps not have to use 1 remote for Channels and 1 remote for everything else. Just my 2 cents.

As an aside – Instead of using the Siri remote I reprogrammed the L-R-U-D Select and Menu buttons of the remote that came with the TV’s thus eliminating the need of throwing the Siri remote across the room each time we wanted to change something.

Thanks for your 2 cents. I totally agree. Once I saw the Channels app and experimented with it I went out and purchased another 2 ATV 4s. I have been using one ever since it first came out. I was also able to completely eliminate the STBoxes. eventually working on returning them and saving rental fees and DVR fees.

Guess a little more patience is in order.
I was just hoping for a crossover solution until I can completely get away from the STB’s. and the old style remotes!!

We are exploring what APIs are available in tvOS which might allow us to detect additional buttons on third-party remotes. So far we’ve only been able to detect the buttons which overlap with the Siri remote.

Well that’s good news – fingers crossed!
In the mean time I’ll press forward slowly.
Thanks and chomping at bit for DVR release.

I am a believer in the cold turkey and ripping off the bandaid approach. Like you I returned all DVR’s and STB’s over a year ago which only covered 4 of my 8 TV’s for $70+ a month. I now have 2 HDHomeRun Prime Cable Cards for $10 a month for both. As you know the DVR is an additional cost for a monthly subscription which includes 2 weeks of guide data.

Side note: As an Alpha tester I can tell you we love the DVR Integration as well. I use a MAC Mini under the TV for the DVR.

How about a swipe left/right for channel up/down?

The swipe left/right for channel up/down is how DIRECTV Now works and it works pretty well. However, I do not use it much. I always hit select for timeline scrolling so not sure it would be a problem to also use for scrolling thru the top bar favorites while watching a tv show.

here’s the situation – if on channel 230 and want to go to 650 she wants to hit 6 -5- 0 buttons.

Too bad her memory is so good, remembering all of her channel numbers. :grinning: From your description, it seems she doesn’t really use the EPG.

My husband was exactly the same… Once, we set favorites in usage order, he started usng the dropdown, so he could scroll right in an orderly fashion. We have all newscasts first (he is a major news junkie), then major broadcast channels, then less used favorites in alpha order.

To reorder favorites: On Now/Favorites view, hold down on a channel until it starts wiggling, then move it with the remote (u, d, l, r).

In addition, following up on @d21mike bandaid approach…after you re-order favorites to her liking, you might ask her to commit to a 7 day trial without using the old TV remote.

2 Likes

Thank you I did not know of this feature. I will be reordering my favorites when I get home!

Thanks all for comments – DebbieFL thanks for the info on Reordering Favorites – helps clean up some confusion –
I also believe “cold turkey” is the way to go – we’ll get there – she’s now willing to give it a go on bedroom TV.