Channel List Clarification

So, I know this is covered somewhere, and I rarely run into this, so I am not always thinking about it and I am not sure of the answer, when it happens.

What channels show up in the list, when you have more than one version of the channel and multiple sources for that channel? In this case, I am speaking of NBCSN. I get it via my cable subscription, using my HDHR Prime and I get it via TVE.

The other night, I kept getting 'All Tuners In Use" (or similar), when I was trying to tune to NBCSN. There were a couple of recordings going on, and my wife was watching something live...boom, three tuners. So, I figured I could just head over to the TVE feed, but it does not show up in the channel list.

Why?

Is this configurable?

How can I watch the TVE feed, in Channels, if I can't find it in the channels list?

It's got to be around here, somewhere, and I am just missing it.

Thanks

Wow. I really thought this was going to be an easy answer, for someone, but nothing after 2 days and 71 views.

Nothing from the devs? You guys usually jump in quick.

What device are you using Channels app on?

Firestick 4K

Did you make sure that in the guide the channels are set to all ... if not change it.... This should be the default ... I had lost all my TVE channels in my web browser and it was because it was set to only show favorites.

I see what can be causing your problem by default the android APP when started for the first time the default in the Guide is Favorites this should default to all ... all this does is cause confusion the way it is now. Let the user decide if they only want to see favorites.

I've noticed that unless TVE is prioritized over the other tuners, then TVE will be the main source of watching. I had my Primes prioritized over TVE and the TVE channels would be hidden automatically. Usually tuner sharing would kick in if more than one device was watching the same channel. It was my understanding though if all of my tuners were being used, TVE would be used to record if there was a scheduled recording. Eventually I just took TVE out of my lineup because the stream qualities were so bad. It's a cool concept but the cable companies really dial down the quality of the streams.

Yeah, it is set to show all channels.

one other thing Channels combines HDHomeRun channels and TVE ... So if your HDHomerun tuner is above TVE in the settings of your FireTV you will only see the HDHomeRun Channels numbers. I wish there was an option to not combine channels.

"Explain it like I am Five" is a known expression. It is a bit sarcastic, but generally means give me the simplest answer. It can also be used in a derogatory manner to insinuate that someone said something that didn't make any sense.

It was not meant to be literal...which might be odd coming from me, who takes almost everything literally. :grinning:

That is what I was hoping for, that it was an option.

Devs, can this be an option? It is not the end of the world if it is not, or if it requires a bunch of hoop jumping. Like I said, it is rare for me, but may not be so rare for others.

I understood the five comment ... I am into computer support so when a client has a problem ... I try to explain it as easily as I can and not assume they have the technical knowledge at first.

The simple explanation is that channels are combined on the guide, and tried in the order of priority as listed in the settings area of the app. So in this case it tried the hdhomerun first which has no timers available. Then it tried TVE, but the NBCSN TVE feed is not working reliably either.

What happens if the Channels on TVE and Cable show the exact same show but are not combined which a lot are not for what ever reason ... in that case will it still fall over to the TVE channels .... I would think not.

Th logic for combining tuners appears to be off.

I believe the merge is based upon the call sign. For instance, TVE NBC and Fox get merged (KNBC and KTTV for me), while ABC doesn't, because its call sign for the guide is ABCSTR, not KABC.

I see that now thanks for clearing it up wish there was a way to edit the TVE call sign.

These are a few not combined and have the same listings

XFINITY
AMC 771 6086
IFC 781 6088
WETV 780 6089

Okay, so it should have just defaulted over to TVE, if that channel was working right,.

Okay, that is simple enough.

So, that is the way it should whether I am recording something or trying to watch live?

Thanks.

1 Like

Recordings follow the priorities set on the DVR (and viewable in the web interface). When watching live on a client, the priorities may be different than what is set on the server. This is something they are working on, to synchronize these kind of settings between server and the client. But it’s not ready yet.

Not keen on this 'Explain it like I'm five' mentality. 'Listen, read and operate like you're an adult.' ...is my advise to anyone in your situation.

Well, someone clearly woke up in charge of the world this morning.

1 Like

Refreshed and ready. I owe you an apology, I shouldn't have assumed you're a functioning adult. Please forgive me.