Channels 4.0 Beta

Please add better highlighting for the Active On Now icon.

Some feedback about tvOS:

• When going from Library to a sub-section (more Up Next, more Recently Recorded) you no longer show the left side navigation. Why? Why not always have it available?

• From an ordering perspective, in the nav, why have Up Next be last, when visually it has more in common with Library.

• And related to that last point, I'd love the ability to re-order the navigation

1. This is on purpose as you’re pushing into the hierarchy. This works the same as before when the main nav was the tab bar. Doing this forces you to go “back” otherwise the nav items are left deep into the hierarchy and it’s confusing when switching to them.

2. Agreed! It’s on my list to put it higher.

3. Understood. It might not make it into the final release but maybe after.

For tvOS sidebar, is there a plan to make the screens update live as you scroll along the sidebar items, not requiring an extra click?

Not at the moment.

On the lastest iOS version, the Upcoming Movies have their thumbnails cropped. (The image tile is the one used for landscape Series posters, instead of the portrait Movies posters.) They are correct if you go into the "More >" section, though.

(And thanks for bringing these categories out of the web UI into the clients!)

This is fixed in the next upcoming build.

New build is out:

• New: Enhanced Library mode - toggle new browsing experience on and off
  • Improved: Up Next moved up in the sidebar
  • Improved: Some UI/UX and design changes
  • Improved: Favorites is now an option in the filter bar when viewing All Movies/Shows
  • Fixed: Favorites re-ordering on iOS was broken
  • Fixed: Search section was missing from the sidebar on tvOS
  • Fixed: Filter bars were losing focus after selection
  • Fixed: Some random crashes

This release introduces a toggle to turn the new library browsing views on and off. I know a lot of you were wishing for simpler views. If you want a simple experience or your library is too small to have a need for the new views, just keep this setting turned off. If you have a lot of TV shows and movies and want a deeper experience, turn it on.

Basically, with Enhanced Library mode off, the Movies and TV buttons and sidebar sections will take you to the simple list + sort bar views. With it on, it'll be like it was before this build.

This is defaulted to OFF, so if you want the new experience, be sure to go to the Library settings to turn it on.

1 Like

iOS is crash-tastic in latest beta. Crash reports sent via app.

With Enhanced Library turned off on iPad, any tap on "More" or "TV Shows" causes this latest build to crash (I submitted the reports when prompted). If I turn Enhanced Library back on, it doesn't crash and works as before.

1 Like

Apple TV crashes when going to settings. iOS crashes as well.

1 Like

And a lite UI bug as well for ya!

New build coming up to fix the crasher :crazy_face:

Submitted emails from app on iOS. Nearly ever option you select crashes the app. Settings, TV Shows, etc.

Yeah it’s all a simple song le but effecting everything. Nbd.

1 Like

Ok fixed build is out.

1 Like

That pesky UI bug persists.

This is AWESOME!!!! Thank you!!! I love the toggle for the simple view. My wife loves it too! Recorded TV and Movies are perfect to dive right into.

Very easy for someone who isn’t familiar with Channels to pick it up and use it. I tested this with my neighbor, who has never used an Apple TV or Channels and they loved it.

2 Likes

All that was fixed was the crasher since you posted that. It was only a couple mins :sweat_smile:

Please let me know what device you’re seeing this on.

2 Likes

Hah!

iPhone XS, iOS 13.4.