Channels 4.0 Beta

Really like where this is going, the ability to hide menu items is a great feature.

A few suggestions:

1. The "Library" view should be combined with the Tv/Movies pages. I hate to say "copy what Plex has done", but after many years I feel like they got it right with UNO. Inside Tv/Movies have a "Discover" and "Library" view with the option to default to the last used...
    Discover View: Continue watching, Up Next, Recently Recorded
    Library View: Alphabetical

2. "Active Shows" and "Recently Aired" are confusing categories. I'm not sure what the "active" shows are but the recently aired shows seem to be only new episodes. I believe they should both be removed (refer to point #1) or at least renamed. If "recently aired" = "new episodes" then call them that.

3. Improve the watched indicators in the "Recordings" view. The neon green is a little jarring and the indicators aren't very intuitive. Maybe a lighter shade of purple for the indicator with a filled in circle meaning unwatched, and no indicator at all meaning watched. (Again similar to Plex, which is a good thing for users who use both apps)

1 Like

From my experience the Active Shows are ones currently in production. Shows that are not cancelled or just doing reruns in syndication. Recently aired are just that, any episode regardless of age of original production.

Active Shows are any shows that have been recently interacted with. That might be watched, or a new episode added, anything like that. The idea is that it tries to present shows you might likely be looking for. But with the limited amount shown and the fact that we're getting new episodes every day, it rolls over a lot and sort of just ends up looking like Recently Recorded.

We're thinking about replacing this with a Favorites section for shows that you mark as favorite that you'd like to get to faster.

3 Likes

maddox, there is a bug on the apple tv app going back to the previous beta version. if i click on a show thats on the top row on the apple tv homepage, channels opens to the guide while the show is audibly playing in the background. there is no way to pick something else after that. the only solution is to force quit the app and not use the top row. thanks.

1 Like

Great, thanks! I'll look into it.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Empty Trash is Slow

What you describe seems to be "recently added", for me "recently aired" does not show older shows that were recently recorded. (example: Two and a half Men)

I’m a huge fan of less is more. I’d love to click on the TV Shows menu and have it just open to the alphabetical view of all my shows. I’d love the same for movies.

I appreciate the multiple options that many other people get used to but I personally would love the ability to hide just about everything else. It makes it very easy for the wife and kids to get to exactly where they need to go.

4 Likes

I very much agree with this. The auto-sorting never really does what I want and particularly on iOS it's too many taps to get to a view that makes sense (Library > TV Shows > All Shows). It'd be great if I could either default to an alphabetical list of TV shows or the chronological "Recordings" view on iOS as well as tvOS.

Completely agree. The other stuff is nice at times, but make it optional. The beta is a great step in that direction with the optional menu items. I have gotten rid of everything except for the "guide" and "recordings". I would would like to enable "tv" and "movies" but only if I am able to default to an Alphabetical list.

OK if we're making changes, here's one small change I'd like to see.
Can you fix the Guide so that

(a) on iPad you have the same level of control as in the web view of the server. So you can EASILY (without insane horizontal scrolling) choose a future day and time

(b) allow an option to anchor the future times to times that make sense for California?
Right now the guide shows 6pm to 9pm, then 9pm onward. This is insane for CA, which has prime time from 8pm to 10pm. It would be far more useful to have the anchor times for CA something like hr earlier in each case, so 5pm and 8pm.

3 Likes

New beta released

• Improved: Sidebar animation sped up
  • Improved: Movies and Kids cards are not available if library doesn’t have that kind of content
  • Fixed: Genre and decades lists are dismissable

The up direction is still not bringing up the time-bar.

@maddox could you make the sidebar selection automatically switch the displayed tab without clicking, and also slide content of the page dynamically left to right so that the sidebar never overlaps?

I mainly only use three apps (Channels, Plex, and Youtube) and I've become accustom to the side bar automatically switching the content on the other two apps.

2 Likes

In the iOS app: when going to alphabetical listing of all shows, selecting a show, then deleting all episodes using the ellipsis menu, nothing happens visually. I would expect to see the episodes disappear. This only happen when I back out of that screen.

iOS: when I go to recently watched, select an episode, select to delete it, the app crashes every time. I've sent crash report via the app.

I've seen the crash reports, thanks for giving me a better description of the path you took. I'm cleaning up some crashers today and will have a new build out. I think i've already fixed this one, but I'll check it agin with the extra info you gave me.

1 Like

I second this. Moving and then clicking seems unnecessary, unless somehow loading each section is slow or costly somehow.

Another little bug-let in tvOS. If you bring up the side menu you can dismiss it again by swiping right on any menu item except the one you landed on to start with.

Also I don’t know whether it’s just me but I still find the animation of the text items appearing on the side menu distracting. The animation of the menu bar itself appearing is now fine with the latest update.

New build out

• Fixed: Up gesture shows the timeline again
  • Fixed: Genre and Decade picker was crashing in iOS
  • Fixed: Some crashes after deleting items
  • Fixed: Some crashes while using hold gesture on recordings
  • Fixed: Various other crashes