Empty Trash is Slow

iOS: I think Empty Trash could be handled better. When hitting the empty trash button there is no clear indication anything is happening. Having some kind of visual indicator that shows are being deleted would be useful.

It should be instant, was it delayed for you?

Very much so. I had 90-something shows. Hit empty trash. Didn't see anything happen. Back up a screen and saw a smaller number of trashed shows. Took about 2-3 minutes for it to get to 0.

Could you paste the server logs in there to see how long it took?

This is the first and last delete:

2020/03/02 08:25:47.013965 [DVR] Deleting /Volumes/DVR Recordings/Channels/TV/Doctor Who/Doctor Who S12E10 The Timeless Children 2020-03-01-2000.mpg

020/03/02 08:27:30.387785 [DVR] Deleting /Volumes/DVR Recordings/Channels/TV/At Home With Amy Sedaris/At Home With Amy Sedaris S02E01 2019-02-19 Teenagers 2019-02-19-2200.mpg

Looks like perhaps an external drive on macOS? Is it a USB 3 drive attached to a USB 3 host port? If not, that might explain why the delete operation took longer than expected.

It is an external drive.

That probably contributed to the long delete. Also, if you had other write operations going on (such as a recording, live viewing a TVE channel, or remote viewing) that would also impact the speed of your drive operations.

For light DVR use USB2 external drives are adequate; but if you record quite a bit—especially multiple recordings at the same time—then you really ought to keep all your external connections over USB3 or Thunderbolt connections.

It is a USB 3 external drive.

It should be deleting in the background though. It shouldn’t hang the UI. I’ll look into it, thanks.