Channels 4.0 is released

That worked. I didn't know that if you don't have the app update notice you have to open the app within the App store to get the option to update. Only been using iOS for 10+ years now.

I do always apply OS updates before I get the notification so it is similar to going into General -> Settings -> Software Update. Never connected the dots.

went back to icon with the play button on it again i see. why change it, announce it and then change it back?

It's an issue with app review Had we submitted it as it was, the icons would match each other's counterpart. The only way to do it would be to ship with an alternative icon for one of the apps, and then revert the alternative icon later. We didn't want to do that with this 4.0 update, so we reverted the change.

We may still do it in the future.

1 Like

Has there ever been thought to changing the icon for “Whole Home DVR” or “Live TV”

Sometimes my dvr is down and I want to watch life tv and it is mildly inconvenient that the icons are the same.

Is it not possible to make the DVR app check whether you’ve also purchased the standalone one and just switch to Live TV only instead of telling me the server isn’t connected?

Not that I know of

This isn’t something third party apps can do. I’m sorry to hear your server is unavailable at times. Email support and we can help you work through it. It should always be available.

As a solution, you should just use your purchased Channels app. Then if the server is unavailable, live tv will work just like you were hoping.

It’s not a server issue. I sometimes shut down my NAS for a day or two. It would still be great if it could be implemented manually in some way. Like you get a code in the purchased standalone app that you can use in the DVR one to make it automagically switch to Live TV only mode when a server isn’t available. That way people don’t need to have two apps installed after validating the code. Just an idea :man_shrugging:t2::slightly_smiling_face:

There’s no need to even use the free app if you’ve purchased the paid app. Just use the paid app. Then it will work for both your scenarios.

I was playing around with the navigation settings today and seem to have gotten “stuck” on that setting. Basically anytime I go to the settings pane now it’s stuck on that screen. How do I get back to the higher level settings list? Pressing menu didn’t seem to do the trick. Thanks!

Put your focus on the list of settings and use the menu button to back out of them.

Excellent work. I've been following along during the progress of the update and I can appreciate the time and energy put into this app. I look forward to the android and fire tv releases. Thanks for the excellent app support

1 Like

In the Recording section, is there any way to go back to the old way, not displayed by recording date?

In the Library section the shows are organized by season and episode, among other ways if you turn on the setting for large libraries. The recorded list is new and doesn't remove the old ways. I find this new view useful if I know something recorded today and I want to go watch it and not weed through the library looking for it.

I just bought it because I wanted to watch my local South Florida news in the motning with coffee. And that is what I did until the new version. Now it automatically scans but finds nothing then assumes I have the DVR spp and directe me to my "server" asking IP addresses. What happened t just watchhing the news. I thought Channels was my answer to "cutting the cable" and still getting local antenna stuff. Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Please see the individual thread you opened about this problem.

The announcement makes it sound like I could remove items from the sidebar but I cannot find anything in the settings.
"Kiosk mode" is also mentioned but I cannot find that either. Is it a plus-subscription thing?
To be honest I don't use anything on the left side of the actual guide so I was thrilled to read I could turn them off, now I only have to find out how...

Btw it is somewhat confusing that pressing "menu" -button repeatedly user ends up in settings, in most apps that backs out of the app... I don't know if this changed in the newest version or have I not just noticed it before.

Huh, in the app settings or tvos settings?

Can you make a video showing this problem and email to [email protected]

This is only for Channels Plus users. The normal live TV only app doesn't have sidebar customization because there's only a total of 3 sections available.

This is a hidden feature, you can learn about it here: https://getchannels.com/docs/articles/kiosk-mode/

There's no way to actually turn off the sidebar.

1 Like

Can you explain a bit more about the experimental deinterlace option? What type of deinterlacing is being used ?

Edit: I found your post on it. It seems to work great!
https://community.getchannels.com/t/beta-experimental-gpu-deinterlacing-on-apple-tv-4k/23159