Channels app and new tivo streaming stick

It's Tivo. They haven't done anything worthwhile in a very long time...

1 Like

In case anyone was wondering, usb ethernet adapters don't work. The wifi reception is also not as good as Fire Stick 4K.

Edit: Guess some people got ethernet working with certain adapters (link. Didn't work with either of the two gigabit adapters I have that work fine on the Fire Stick.

Edit2: Eventually got my Asix gigabit adapter to work. It took a long time for it to get detected and it kept restarting. Maybe not enough power on the USB-C port!?

anybody figured out how to enter the "." for ota (sub-)channels?
old-school channel flipping using channel up/down and number-input works well otherwise with this device.

Has anyone figured out how to jump to the previous channel? I know about double-clicking play on the firetv, but the tivo doesn't have a play-button and double-clicking the "ok" button doesn't do the trick

I haven't gotten around to checking yet, but what about using a button remapper to assign . to a long-press of 0? (It looks like it's possible, but you need to know the scancode, and I don't feel like reading through sources to find it.)

Edit: After removing or disabling all of the TiVo customizations, it turns out to be a fine Android TV device. However, since the remote is a bit wonky, I think I'll replace it with a spare Harmony. Now all it needs is to have its hardware decoder issues fixed in a firmware update, and it'll probably replace a couple Fire TV Sticks around the house.

@tmm1 - would it be possible for you guys to somehow add support for the Tivo stick remote so that pushing the "guide" button to bring up the Channels DVR EPG (not Tivo), skip, live, etc? I'm currently using 4k FireTV however even with the GPU bug this really would make a great Channels DVR client device.

I'm not sure if its possible for us to do. But you can see TiVo Stream 4K & Button Mapper for Remote

I was able to find a workaround and am uploading a new beta build to the Play Store now.

1 Like

When I get home I will report how you did. Thanks for working on this. I really didn't expect you guys to bother with it right now since its a new thing. Keep up the great work. I so far have not found any other issues with this new device with Channels. :smile:

Will the beta also be available for download directly (through the app) as previously? (Although, both avenues are still reporting 5.13.1931 as the latest beta.)

5.14.1656 is the latest and was uploaded to all the regular places.

Odd. After uninstalling the previous beta, the new one finally downloaded. Thanks for the fix.

Now if TiVo will fix the remote firmware to make Back less sensitive, and an actual Menu button, we'll be in business.

Has anyone managed to get the android app switcher to work? Double-clicking home doesn't do anything..

Using the Button Mapper app, you can go under Add Button> Select a button type want to use> Actions> Last App. Working really well to toggle between apps.

If you long-press on the Home button (the circle), it brings up the full app list. (This is the same as selecting "Apps" from the top Channel on the Home screen.)

By uninstalling or disabling many of the apps, you can basically turn the device into a generic Android TV.

• TiVo Stream – This is TiVo's aggregating app/home screen, and what is launched when you press the TiVo button. While it cannot be uninstalled, you can disable it.
  • Sling TV – All of the other apps that the system has pre-installed can be uninstalled except for Sling. However, you can disable the app.
  • TiVoPlusPlayer – This is installed as a system app, but you can still disable it. This is the app that gets launched when you press the Live button on the remote. (Oddly, that buton is the only one that doesn't seem to come up with a scancode when using Button Mapper.)
  • com.tivo.tvlaunchercustomization – This one is the most important one to get default Home behavior back. This is the app that makes it so you cannot move TiVo Stream or Netflix from the first two positions of the Apps Channel. (If you disable the TiVo Stream app, it will disappear from the first position, but Netflix will still be present, and vice versa for deleting the Netflix app.) With this app disabled, you can move the TiVo Stream or Netflix app to a different position, or move other apps to the first positions in the App Channel. Also, the TiVo Recommend Channel can now be moved or deleted from the Home screen. (By default, this Channel is always in the second row—immediately below Apps—and cannot be moved or deleted.)

Once you disable the 3 TiVo specific apps, you're left with a plain Android TV dongle. In Channels, the Skip button on the remote will skip to the next commercial break marker on a recording. The Live button won't do anything (and I haven't figured out how to remap that).

I've remapped the TiVo button to be a second Home button, and the Guide button to launch/switch to Channels. I've mapped the Info button to Menu, but that doesn't seem to do anything. (In most places, long-pressing Select seems to act as Menu, but not during playback in Channels. I know you can press Down to get the Quick Guide, but I also often use the Menu button on a Fire TV to achieve this, too.)

Also as previously noted, Channel +/- works, as does direct input using the keypad (except for the missing . for OTA channels).

5 Likes

I think its a bug, and a soft reset fixed for me.

I can't update past 5.13.1926 :thinking:

@tmm1. Since channel flipping using channel up/down and number-input working, Can you add channel no with name and logo to appear briefly on top as feature request in next update. Similar to Live Channels feature.
Thanks.

1 Like

What are the advantages to this device over a Fire stick 4k?

A current Android TV (v9) version, regular security updates (yet to be seen, but most likely), access to the whole and proper Google Play store, decoupled from Amazon's invasive and intrusive advertising.

4 Likes