Channels app and new tivo streaming stick

What are the advantages to this device over a Fire stick 4k?

A current Android TV (v9) version, regular security updates (yet to be seen, but most likely), access to the whole and proper Google Play store, decoupled from Amazon's invasive and intrusive advertising.

4 Likes

My TV kept turning on with the TiVo attached. Looks like a known bug, with the following workaround:

The work around seems to fix the time bar. But the beta version video is very pixelated Now. Ill go back to the android build x.x.23

I found that if you place the device in one of the other inputs, the TV will not power on. Don’t put it in the ARC-HDMI input. The Tivo is not CEC capatible.

If anyone can sideload the Spectrum TV App on Tivo Streaming 4K please post instruction. I'm not sure if sideloading is possible since downloader no longer works. I would like to watch Elrey and GSN networks with this device. My plan is if I can get everything working on this device I'm mothballing my Apple TV.

The Spectrum app is only for phones and tablets. It doesn't run on Android TV devices. (Same reason it doesn't work on FireTV devices, but does on Kindle tablets.)

(However, sideloading does work. It's regular Android TV under the hood. You do need to enable it, though, in the settings.)

Has anyone been able to get a usb-c ethernet adapter working with the TiVo?

I tried with this one but no luck.

I read on reddit that this one works. ...

1 Like

I don't see the need for adapter. I haven't had any streaming issues with my Tivo yet. Mine averages 157 mbps. Thats faster than my wired Fire TV Stick at 98 mbps. Plus you need another power source for the adapter above. At least the Fire TV only requires one with its adapter.

The Wi-Fi performance has been shoddy for me when trying to install development apks.

This one provides both power and Ethernet, and leaves the USB-C open for storage.

https://store.google.com/product/ethernet_adapter_for_chromecast

So are you guys are going to support this device. Or are you just playing around with it like me and others.

Did anyone else have this problem?

We won't recommend it unless the player issues can get sorted out.

But you can install it from the Play Store, it works, and even the remote buttons work. So what's left to support?

1 Like

Sorry for the tardy response. WRT my disgust with the performance of FireTV Stick 4K in comparison to the TIVO Stream 4K:
I experienced the same issues with a local FireTV Stick 4k and a physically different FireTV Stick 4k at a remote, but not all that distant, location (served by the same ISP).
You will find that the issue with the FireTV Stick 4k playing local transcoded video is well documented in a number of threads where the universal prescription is 'just use the raw original video (MPEG2)'. Original video does, indeed, work locally but is much less practical for remote connections with less than luxurious bandwidth.
I have yet to test the TiVo streamer remotely, but with local transcoded video working out of the box I am very hopeful.

Could you point me at those posts? That isn’t something I’ve been aware of. I’ve used the FireTV Stick 4K for traveling and only watch transcoded streams with it.

I am new to Android TV. How do you disable the TiVo Stream app and other ones?

Thanks

Here's How to De-Tivo Your Stream + Speed It Up

Or, go through the apps I mentioned in my post and uninstall or disable them from Settings > Apps.

1 Like

Thanks!

Can this be added a feature request?