Channels Carbon Theme

So yea, I've been pretty lazy with making updates despite only taking 15 minutes or so. I'll come up with something soon.

2 Likes

Yay! That is excellent news. Thanks for all your work!

Fixed the broken download link

Thanks! Just installed and looks SO MUCH better than the dreaded purple! I would be interested in knowing your process for future updates if you're willing to share!

1 Like

When a new version comes out, I install it on my phone, use Nova Launcher to save a copy of the .apk to Google Drive, download it to the computer, decompile it with APK Easy Tools 1.6, merge in the modified files with Beyond Compare, recompile it, then copy it to my SHIELD for testing.

I can send you the modified files if you'd like.

You can probably bypass that with https://cdn.channelsdvr.net/android/ChannelsBeta.apk (See Pre-Release access for DVR subscribers). Heck, might even be able to automate it a la CI/CD depending on the approval of the staff here.

1 Like

is there an option to change the color now?

Thanks!, that does simplify things.

No, only the purple is available through official channels.

That would be great if you could send the files!

They are in the original post now with a short list of the programs you need. Feel free to DM me if you run into issues. The colors are in the colors file at /res/values/colors.xml but I couldn't get a suitable result without changing other files too.

I have ver 4.6.6. Is the latest one? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that version naming structure is only used for the stables, and the betas will be a variation of the date, and build time. Perhaps one of the developers can chime in with clarification.

I have never modded the stable versions. I don't think I will either, since the developers view that as their complete and final product at the moment. Currently, I am only one update behind. There is a changelog thread associated with the beta version. 11.27 is the latest version (right now) with one additional fix, and the carbon is at 11.24

Yes I can do another update if you'd like to the latest version. I just figured people don't feel like manually updating their app every few days. Maybe I will start looking at changing the link it points to in the settings => update beta function to download the latest carbon, but I would want the developers permission first.

1 Like

I'm fine with your current update schedule. I don't need the very latest and greatest. I dl'ed it last week and just wondered if my current ver was up-to-date. Thankye!

Popped in to check your progress...and there it is...

Looking good.

Thank you so much for your efforts!

1 Like

BTW - thanks for doing this. I've stopped using it but saw the thread and just went to download it. Much prefer the black to the purple. I think that Channels is a pretty much topnotch dev team but I have to say the purple does not support that notion - it has too much of a kitchy feel to the app.

1 Like

Once you load, what's the maintenance like for the end user? I'm curious to try, but if it creates problems with the app when needed to upload and I'm away from home, I don't want to do it and then impact the "WAF".

Thanks.

No maintenance other than updating the app from time to time, which would involve installing the .APK whichever way you chose to originally install it. That's it. And when it installs, it updates, so any app specific settings you have set will persist.

I'll be updating the app soon.

Thanks. What happens until you update? The theme stops, elements are misaligned, etc?

Nothing, you just won't have the latest bug fixes / added features until I make an update. I'm still using a November version.