Channels deleted itself from my windows pc

This low information user will pass but hey thanks.

2 Likes

Yeah i have to agree. The whole time i was reading your thread i was thinking that all of your issues would not have happened with linux.

If you want to give it a go, there are plenty of us that will help you. My server has been running on ubuntu server for a year and a half and it has not been rebooted at all. Literally the most stable platform ever.

1 Like

An excessive amount of hand holding by the OS

Also just recently:

It might be something ill do dpwn thw road wven though i dont know anything about Linux but i also run emby so i would want to.make sure i.dont miss out on any featires.

What disappoints me is the lack of communication from one of the channel developers. I pay monthly for the product, given them praise on the message boards & whatever else i can do but to not acknowledge my issue is pure wrong.

did you contact them via their preferred support method and send an email to their support email address?

I didnt because i wound up deleting cdvr from my pc but i dont see how they couldnt chime in.

maybe they are doing something else? I would be sipping pina colada and waiting for the phone to ring

I doubt that. These guys are similiar to emby then plex.... or maybe im wrong.

why not? maybe they are prioritizing support emails first.

i would agree with your point if they haven't answered your support email since you are down because their program is being interfered with an antivirus software that a lot of less tech savvy people rely on and because i'm sure part of their customer base is, lets say less tech savvy and channels is basically their cable company call center.

i get it, but you haven't sent an email to support, instead you've been grinding your teeth while refreshing their Community forum waiting for an answer.

So what do you expect them to do on this forum that they arent able to do with their normal support process that you didnt follow? You seem to have an expectation that they should provide developer support via this forum and give a response time worthy of your own perceived SLA. This forum provides community support. If you have an urgent issue then use their normal support channels. Dont complain that they arent acknowledging your issue on a community forum and then say you cant follow the normal process because you already uninstalled. If its important enough to you then follow the support channel. If it isnt, then maybe it's time to quit whining...

Not sure what else you expect the devs to say. Your Windows has viruses. You should delete it (Windows). If that not an option, you need to get your OS back to a better state, maybe reformat and reinstall.

Not whining as i got it working again & i do pay the mothly fee is this is not shareware so i realy dont think i did anything wrong. Channels ia pretty good at what they do but my thinking now is its time to hope emby adds tv everywhere.... but im doubting that because i think they just dont want that headache with all.the notices they get.

Im going to look at doing a reinstall soon. Thought about upgrading pc but may look at other options now.

You should follow their normal support process and not expect immediate priority support via the community forum and not complain when you dont get it.

Looks like the same issue:

1 Like

Go to setup, Computer Protection, Click on the gear icon, edit exclusions. Then add these paths.

This has prevented NOD33/ESET from deleting channels. Channels can sometimes trigger a false positive. Since doing this, ESET and Channels has not had an issue with each other.

Holy cow - and people wonder where Linux users get their reputation for being a$$holes from?!? The responses in this thread are mind boggling.

@all4dom - you are just running into a common problem of over-active antivirus software. It's falsely identifying Channels as malicious and trying to block it. Simply exclude the C:\ProgramData\ChannelsDVR folder from your Antivirus software and you should be just fine.

It looks like it might be Windows Defender that is doing the blocking - if that's the only antivirus on your machine then these instructions should get you there: How to exclude files and folders from Windows Defender Antivirus scans | Windows Central

Just use the folder option for the exclusion. You may not be able to pick the ProgramData folder unless you first have Show Hidden Files enabled in File Explorer.

If having hidden files showing clutters up things too much for you, as soon as you get done setting the exclusion go back to File Explorer and toggle hidden files back off.

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind response eric. I take no offense as I know I am dealing with an entitled batch... i see it on the news all the time. I wish I knew this before deleting cdvr but i just finished setting everything up again. I will make sure I exclude this from windows defender. Funny thing is I also run emnby on my PC & I have used that since it was media browser & john ran it, which is a long time ago & not once did I ever have this issue, but thats a different set of folks....not entitled.

@EricE i just added the folder to windows defender. Thanks for your help.

My guess is you got malware by having it exposed to the internet. I highly recommend turning off UPNP on your router and NOT opening a port to access Channels remotely! If you need to access it remotely set up a VPN on your network and connect that way.