Channels deleted itself from my windows pc

Not whining as i got it working again & i do pay the mothly fee is this is not shareware so i realy dont think i did anything wrong. Channels ia pretty good at what they do but my thinking now is its time to hope emby adds tv everywhere.... but im doubting that because i think they just dont want that headache with all.the notices they get.

Im going to look at doing a reinstall soon. Thought about upgrading pc but may look at other options now.

You should follow their normal support process and not expect immediate priority support via the community forum and not complain when you dont get it.

Looks like the same issue:

1 Like

Go to setup, Computer Protection, Click on the gear icon, edit exclusions. Then add these paths.

This has prevented NOD33/ESET from deleting channels. Channels can sometimes trigger a false positive. Since doing this, ESET and Channels has not had an issue with each other.

Holy cow - and people wonder where Linux users get their reputation for being a$$holes from?!? The responses in this thread are mind boggling.

@all4dom - you are just running into a common problem of over-active antivirus software. It's falsely identifying Channels as malicious and trying to block it. Simply exclude the C:\ProgramData\ChannelsDVR folder from your Antivirus software and you should be just fine.

It looks like it might be Windows Defender that is doing the blocking - if that's the only antivirus on your machine then these instructions should get you there: How to exclude files and folders from Windows Defender Antivirus scans | Windows Central

Just use the folder option for the exclusion. You may not be able to pick the ProgramData folder unless you first have Show Hidden Files enabled in File Explorer.

If having hidden files showing clutters up things too much for you, as soon as you get done setting the exclusion go back to File Explorer and toggle hidden files back off.

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind response eric. I take no offense as I know I am dealing with an entitled batch... i see it on the news all the time. I wish I knew this before deleting cdvr but i just finished setting everything up again. I will make sure I exclude this from windows defender. Funny thing is I also run emnby on my PC & I have used that since it was media browser & john ran it, which is a long time ago & not once did I ever have this issue, but thats a different set of folks....not entitled.

@EricE i just added the folder to windows defender. Thanks for your help.

My guess is you got malware by having it exposed to the internet. I highly recommend turning off UPNP on your router and NOT opening a port to access Channels remotely! If you need to access it remotely set up a VPN on your network and connect that way.