Channels DVR Beta crashing on ATV

I have seen this multiple times on ATV4k v1. I often am watching something live, such as NFL football, when it happens, which makes it extremely frustrating.

But, after some random long period of time, the app will just disappear and return to ATV home screen. And then I need to open everything again in order to continue watching.

I submitted diagnostics the last time this happened, but I'm sure how useful they are since the bug is that the app crashes to home screen silently (there is no visible error) and need to be reopened. Diagnostics were submit immediately after reopening the app.

I’ve had these as well, have another thread going. @tmm1 said to try experimental audio driver so I’m trying it to see if the issue disappears.

1 Like

I had this happen today while I was watching the Redskins beat Tampa Bay :joy:
2 different apple tvs crashed, each in a different scoring play :unamused:
Not sure if it makes any difference but I was watching an atsc 3.0 station when it happened. I submitted diagnostics..

1 Like

Just happened now watching chiefs v raiders. And this is after i switched to test the experimental audio driver. So that is not the solution. The TV I am currently using sounds nowhere near as good on experimental, so switching that one back to default now.

When did this start happening?

More than A couple of days ago, and a couple of versions ago when I emailed support reporting the issue the other day.

1 Like

I noticed it once watching live football on Thursday, and twice watching football today. NFL Football is the highest bitrate broadcasts that the networks ever do, so maybe that has something to do with it. But its only been an issue recently.

Please find the crash files on tvOS and email to us at Support

I sent something from Channels Beta that I found there in the analytics logs, but its from 11/12. There are no Channels Beta items I can see from today and I did see the crash twice today.

Yeah I have sharing on. Looked at the items and the only things with a Channels prefix seemed to be wake-up related. I did just email a daily analytics file in case it is helpful. Just had another crash using experimental audio driver. If you need a different file, let me know.

Maybe if you delete the old Channels one it will make new ones?

What file prefix do you need? I can send the wake-up ones if you think they will help.

Edit: I think I found it. There are “Jetsam” files which sounds like debris left from a crash so I looked and sure enough it looks like a crash report for Channels Beta. Sending now.

Edit 2: After sending it I read through it and while it does seem to related to the crash I just had it doesn’t seem to give many application level details. But maybe you can decipher it. :grimacing:

I think a solution might be default video and default audio drivers.

Hmmm before switching I was on experimental video and default audio. Could try both default and see if the crashes stop.

Can I get a diagnostics after crash

Latest beta is crashing on me too. Also noticing a new issue with ATSC 3.0 channels playing catchup and the video playing back very fast to catchup to the sound. Happens each time I change channels, also the display dropped frame count is in the hundreds. Sending log.

caa879fd-18d0-4e4c-975a-25ff096215c2

Update: now crashing every time I go back to guide when using experimental drivers. When I use default it does not crash.

1 Like

Just submitted diagnostics 1e2776b6-f67a-41f9-83fb-35f77bb31a26. All I’ve done is launch it since the crash so hopefully something helpful will still be there. I’ll start submitting from the app after each crash again.

1 Like

Yes, I'm having the same problem too.It started about 2 days ago. I hadn't seen this thread, and thought that it was because I'd downloaded the tvOS beta. So, unfortunately I opened up another one with some log file comments: 4K tvOS Guide and Quick guide freeze/crash

1 Like

just happened, diagnostics sent