Channels DVR - Pictures of a Power User Install

So I have been happily using Channels DVR since it was first released. I originally was in a Baltimore apartment building and had been using Mohu omni-directional antennas and running ethernet using cable runways. I actually had a Mohu Sky hanging out my 8th floor window. It worked well, but I always envisioned that I would do things differently if I had my own home.

I bought a house in December. It is a typical Baltimore rowhouse, meaning it is very old (99 years old), made of brick, and is about 12 ft wide. Some of the walls are framed out drywall, and some are plaster. I knew I wanted to set this up for Channels DVR, and was excited to accomplish a full install. I wanted to have networked Apple TVs in the living room, kitchen, office, and bedroom.

I set up a network closet in the office. I ran coax here from the roof antennas to 3 HDHomeRuns.
House Front:

It is a beautiful house. From across the street, the antennas are visible. I had to get a pretty big extension ladder to get up there to mount the antennas, but I got it done. These are RCA Yagi antennas, and they are awesome. They blow anything Mohu out of the water. There are no amplifiers used whatsoever, as these will degrade the powerful signals from these antennas. One antenna is pointed at the Baltimore TV towers, and the other one is pointed at a slightly different angle, more towards DC. The reason for this is that one of the Baltimore channels, CBS, suffers from multipath interference on the direct antenna. The 100% signal will very breifly pixelate at random times. I can fix this issue completely by using the other antenna to pull this station. So I used SignalGH on my phone to make sure that I was getting reception.

The antenna pointed directly at the Baltimore antennas is hooked into a HDHR Quatro, providing 4 tuners for this antenna.

I verified some of these channels using SignalGH on my phone. The following picture shows NBC, ABC, Fox, and CW tuned with the Quatro:

The other antenna, pointed more towards DC needed to be able to pull in CBS without multipath interference, plus the DC stations. I ran the coax from this antenna to a splitter, which goes to the other two HDHomeRuns (2 tuners each), providing for 4 tuners for each antenna.

This screenshot shows 3 DC stations, along with WJZ (Baltimore CBS):

They all come in perfectly.

The Office:

The office TV was more difficult to get the power and ethernet jacks behind, because the wall is plaster almost directly over a brick party wall. I did it by cutting into the plaster in a straight line from the closet to the jacks in order to run the wires. Then patched with spackling and repaint. It didn’t need to look perfect, just pretty good… after all, there was going to be a big TV there. The TV was mounted using concrete anchor bolts through the plaster and into the party wall. This picture is taken by slipping my phone behind the TV:

The Office closet:

The DVR is a Synology DS916+ with 2 Gig RAM. The DVR is the main purpose for the NAS, but it does also run HomeBridge to connect my house lights, fans, and switches to Apple homekit. It also runs a few websites, DNS, DHCP, and stores my important files. I had also tried using it to run a UniFi wifi controller in a Docker instance, but that does frequent read/writes to MongoDB (every 5 seconds) and the I/O causes too much load while also trying to record/view on multiple tuners.

So I ran the controller for my Ubiquiti wifi on a separate system. The NAS does run reverse proxies to allow me to remotely connect to the Unifi controller, the DVR, and some other services throughout the network via the internet. It works great like this. I can record many shows while watching on multiple TVs. Tuner sharing works perfectly. Commercial detection takes 1 to 2 minutes for a 30-minute show. I can stream TV channels via the web using the hardware transcoders. It works perfectly. There are no buffer overflows.

The Living Room:

The Bedroom:

The Kitchen:

So thats it, I just wanted to show off my install of ChannelsDVR in my new house. There are more rooms in the house, but I just wanted to show the specific sections of rooms that I set up for Channels. This is one power user use-case. If setup perfectly, a lot of channels can be obtained at perfect quality for free. These are higher bitrates than cable.
Although I only have one 4K TV, I upgraded all of my Apple TVs to 4K, because I wanted to have gigabit ethernet connections to all of them. There are no speed / latency issues anywhere.

In perfect HD, I am able to pull in ABC (x2 cities), NBC (x2 cities), CBS (x2 cities), Fox (x2 cities), CW (x2 cities), Fox 5 Plus, MyTV, CW, ION, and multiple PBS channels. I get all the local sports from 2 different cities. All the MLB, NFL, NBA games for the teams I follow. All the popular primetime shows. Local News from 2 different cities. In superior quality. I can watch them and any recordings on 4 different TVs, simultaneously. This is true cord-cutting. The only thing I pay Comcast for is my Gigabit Internet.

I’ve got 15 favorite channels that are my main HD goto channels with programs I like. And about 60 other channels that I occasionally look at. They are all 100% perfect even in rain, snow, or high wind.

This took some planning and physical work in order to get set up. I am proud of it. And so I wanted to show off my setup to a forum of users who also use the same software. Thanks to the Channels Devs for the awesome software and great support!

Comments/Questions are welcome.

Dave

10 Likes

Nice!

Congrats @djcastaldo! This is great.

Mind if I tweet this out?

I’d love to see some more of these stories. If anyone wants to write something about their setup, feel free to open a new thread with it.

I think they’d be really helpful for new users or people on the fence with Channels.

2 Likes

@maddox, of course I don't mind if you share it. I too would like to see other Channels user setups. There are so many possibilities and the software is compatible with so many different types of hardware. And I think real-user setup scenarios that work well are fun to read about.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing!

Out of curiosity, what are these devices? (the array of 6 things below the switch)

1 Like

They are Wolf Cub winders. Used to turn the rotor in an automatic watch when not worn.

They work great, but are not related to the network. Most of the major networking components are on the shelf above this.
The top shelf has most of the major networking stuff. There are power outlets here, and 2 UPS batteries, one of which is solely dedicated to the Synology NAS.
I ran cat6 drops throughout the house from this closet, there is a patch panel in the back of the closet.

So the house has 2 ethernet runs going to each of 5 rooms... a total of 10 drops. This allows for Apple TVs and WiFi access points to all connect to the same main switch. I run short cables from the patch panel to the gigabit switch, so Apple TVs and DVR are all plugged into the same place. The network also does wifi with 3 Ubiquiti UniFi AC Lite access points throughout the house. These are connected to the switch via ethernet and powered with POE injectors. They provide excellent wifi coverage for phones, tablets, laptops, etc.... any devices that don't plug in with ethernet.

This system provides excellent wireless network connection throughout the whole house. It is perfect for facilitating the wireless use of high-bandwidth network applications like Channels-DVR.

I'd be happy to do this too... I just ordered a rack for my server gear so when that comes in (this week) and is set up I'll make a write-up of my setup.

I just moved into a 100 year old house (from a new construction house I've been in for the last 10 years) and already have 15 CAT-6A ethernet runs, 4 PoE Ubiquity Access Points, a 14TB double-redundant (and off-site mirror backed up) Synology NAS, an HDHD Dual and HDHR Connect, and more. @djcastaldo has a beautiful and clean setup - great job! I look forward to finishing my network rack and showing off my setup too!

2 Likes

I would be interested to know how you end up running the UniFi controller.

I have a headless, diskless (boots from USB, uses NAS for all I/O) Mac Mini Server (someday I'd like to replace this with a 1U type of blade or something that can handle more RAM) that runs VMware ESXi.

One of the VM's on that ESXi machine is Ubuntu 16.04 -- on that VM is where I run my Channels DVR, Plex, SONARR, RARARR, HomeBridge, and my Unifi Controller (instructions on that here: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/220066768-UniFi-How-to-Install-Update-via-APT-on-Debian-or-Ubuntu)

Alternatively you could always use the $100 (ish) little PoE device they sell as a replacement for the VM hosting it... https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-cloud-key/

I have a 24/7 workstation that can run it.... but originally tried to run it in a Docker container on the Synology. As a container, I had to run AutoHeal to keep it running constantly. The container was too big and all the MongoDB read/writes had a performance impact on the NAS... it was similar to as if it was running RAID scrubbing constantly. The frequent disk I/O caused too much additional load if trying to record on 4+ tuners simultaneously...

I know about the CloudKey.

Awesome setup! I love Channels too - so much more reliable than HDHomeRun and Plex recording software.

Have you found the need to install UPS systems? I just did and now my network runs perfectly. Before I would wake up and my router would be blinking due to low voltage in my rural area. The UPS has solved the problem and no more missed recordings.

Thanks so much for all the pictures🥰

Karen

1 Like

The Synology is a RAID6 array, using 8 individual hard disk drives that function as a single volume. If there was any kind of power issue or some of the drives disconnected, or even if they all lost power but not exactly simultaneously, it would degrade the array. Absolutely, a setup like this necessitates a UPS. So I have one battery (the Cyberpower) just for the NAS. There is another UPS to the left of it, not visible in the picture, that keeps up all the switches, HDHomeruns, and other networking stuff. They all run 24/7 and have never had to be powered off or reset. I have not yet had the power go out at my house, but if it did, the DVR wouldn't know the difference and any scheduled recordings would continue.

Most computer and networking components work better and last longer when they continuously have good regulated power from a UPS.

Well, while not as fancy as @djcastaldo,

Here is my closet:
image image

I have a patch panel that brings in the Ethernet from the Google fiber jack, which is PoE to my Ubiquity EdgeRouter. ( I threw the google network box in a pile, it’s horrible.) my network has 2 other networks, one WiFi and one wired, all off the edgerouter. The power strips connect to a centralized UPS in my “demarc”. The switch is for the wired network, which has the ActionTech MoCA2 adapter. Each TV, and office has a MoCA adapter, and in the Office, a switch. Then there is the dell micro desktop running Channels DVR and the 2 extends. ( I don’t use them to transcode, they just stacked nicer, lol) and the MoCA splitter in the corner.

The Antenna is a ChannelMaster Multidirectional mounted in the attic. Used Signal GH to align it. I’d snap a picture but I hate going up there.

My WiFi is provided throughout the house with just a TPLink 1900 in AP mode, it’s the weakest part of the network. Signals are great, but streaming with both boys playing FPS games forces me to 720 2Mb when using an iPad or iPhone. I put it above the cabinets in the kitchen, had power and efhernet run. Centralized like that on the first floor, I cover 2nd floor to the basement.

2 Likes

cool setup! Nice EdgeRouter. I run my ER-X PoE, using an injector from one of my Access Points and then passthrough from the ERX to the AP. It looks like you still have the power cord plugged into the EdgeRouter, though... you should be able to power the ER just using PoE.

Since you mention that the WiFi is a weak point and are doing MoCA anyway, why not just add a second AP? I have found great success using DFS channels that the neighbors don't have access to.

1 Like

Yeah I’m stuck with decision paralysis on WiFi. Lots of opportunities there. So I keep it as is. My wife and I have our work devices on wired, so it’s just the kids laptops and everyone’s iPhone/iPad devices in WiFi.

Back in Jan2016 I saw the brilliance of GetChannels and bought all my MoCA2 bonded adapters, bought some connects and multiple AppleTVs and signed up for the SD post-Kickstarter DVR deal, all before I could even run the channels app! Just based on a posting on a SD forum. I just saw their brilliance, and here I am frozen on a silly set of WiFi routers. Thank goodness work pays for my DVR host. Craaaaazzzzzyyy.

2 Likes

My "Power Install", from rooftop to WiFi:

Antenna's a Winegard HD7078P at about 30 feet above ground level (which is about 960 feet AMSL).

That goes into a lightning arrestor and splitter. One split goes directly to the main TV in the family room, the other to the HDHR CONNECT Quatro in the basement.

The HDHR CQ and NAS are sitting on a shelf under the stairs to the basement. Left-to-Right: NetGear ProSafe GS105Ev2 managed 5-port Gig-E switch, APC BE600M1 600VA BackUPS, Synology DS218+ NAS, HDHomeRun CONNECT Quatro.

The above back-hauls to the main network cabinet in the computer room. Left-to-Right, Top-to-Bottom: NetGear LB1120 LTE modem (for automatic fail-over Internet connection), Ubiquity EdgeRouter 3 Lite, NetGear ProSafe GS108 8-port unmanaged Gig-E swtich, NetGear ProSafe GS305P unmanaged PoE Gig-E switch, Obi202 VoIP Analog Terminal Adaptor, Comcast SMCD3G modem/router.

The 8-port unmanaged switch is soon to be replaced with a managed swtich. The 5-port switch is only there for test purposes. Normally there's just a straight PoE adaptor for the EnGenius AP.

Lastly: For an Access Point I've an EnGenius EAP1300 mounted in the ceiling, about dead-center in the middle of the home. I get solid corner-to-corner coverage, even into the basement, and a goodly ways out into the yard.

(There used to be an Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC Pro in that location, until their management software did me wrong. [I really need to get around to factory resetting that and putting it up on eBay.])

The TVs (currently three of them--there will eventually be five) have a mix of Amazon FireTV Gen. 2 and Xiaomi MiBox S Android TV devices on them.

The clients all connect wirelessly. I've had five of them streaming HD content simultaneously (all three TVs, my iPad and my iPhone) w/o a single drop/pause/what-have-you. When I increase switch capacity I'll move the FTV sitting atop the network cabinet over to an Ethernet connection--just because it'll be easy to do. (At least one of the planned additional TVs will have a wired streaming device. The other may go on a powerline Ethernet bridge.)

2 Likes

I'm sorry, INS, but I don't understand what that means. Do you possibly mean you're using powerline Ethernet bridges to connect your ERL3 to the Google fiber Internet connection? If so: That's not PoE. That's Ethernet over powerline, which is something else entirely.

sorry that wasnt clearer. I meant that The EdgeRouter supplies power to the Google Fiber Jack over PoE. no, i dont use any ethernet over powerline.

@ImNotSerious, I was confused too. But I just looked up "Google Fiber Jack" and now I get it!

@jseymour Nice Install! That antenna looks huge! I use a ProSafe switch also, I think I have a GS116. I don't really have use for a managed switch, but if I did ever decide to get one, it would be UniFi, since that controller is working well in my experience. How much are you selling the AC Pro for?

I didn't anticipate that this thread would turn into an awesome display of sweet installs, but it is fantastic! Let's keep it going, MOAR POWER!