Channels DVR + Xteve / Telly

Beta testing with HDHR via tvh. Still waiting for the SAT>IP box, should be here in a couple days.

Will try it again, when 'The Boss' reliquishes control of the remote/goes out.

As TVH just does pass through, I wonder if there is a subtle difference between the Sat>IP stream and the HDHR stream. Or perhaps I just ballsed it up the first time.

I actually see real benefit to having TVH in the mix, certainly with Sat>IP, for example you can record/watch BBC One and BBC Two at the same time as its on the same mux for me, just using 1 tuner. The same is true for other channels on the same Mux, as we discussed off-post. If you have multiple tuners, 8 in my/our case, you can watch/record decent amounts of concurrent channels.

Let me know how you get on. It would be great if you don't need ffmpeg for SAT>IP too. It makes tuning so much faster.

I've always liked that tvh can share a tuner for channels on the same mux, as it provides a lot more flexibility when recording. A long time ago I asked the devs if this was something that could be implemented in Channels DVR, but I'm guessing it's a bit complex to implement (Channels would have to know what frequency/mux each channel is on for each transmitter instead of just needing to know the LCN, etc). Instead I bought 3 HDHR Duos so I could be reasonably sure Channels always had enough tuners.

tvh is such a great and flexible backend with tuner sharing, EIT p/f 'accurate recording', etc, etc. It's a shame that no one has ever made a decent frontend for it on streaming boxes (Kodi and its derivatives are rubbish IMO). My dream would be Channels frontend with native support for tvh backend, but I don't think it would ever happen.

1 Like

Works - although you need to hash the ffmpeg option in telly, or delete it, setting it to 'false' it still loads ffmpeg (I vaguely remember reading that some where).

Channels changes are now probably almost fast as using TVH with OSMC/Kodi frontend.

1 Like

I've been searching for the same thing without success. In my case, IPTV channels sometimes stop and start repeatedly. If I pause for a while or simply record the channel, it's perfect.

It seems like adjusting the buffer might resolve this, probably with slower channel changes as a result. If this not yet a feature, we should probably request in the "add features" section.

My post a few up is a likely cause/solution - build the 1.1 dev branch of Telly, that corrects the options passed to FFmpeg, the current default induce packet loss/buffering - also in the below post:

Re: Telly's ffmpeg option, it looks like that is only required if your m3u uses HLS instead of MPEGTS

2 Likes

The script that I use is here:

There is also a docker container:
https://hub.docker.com/repository/docker/geertbongers/tvhproxy

there seems to be an issue with how channels imports from telly...i've been tinkering with adding some additional channels by adding their m3u to telly, and ones that i've taken out are still showing up and causing others to not match the correct stream.

example: i have been tinkering with the master playlist i've been feeding to telly, and some of the channels i've removed are still showing up when i re-scan in channels...which is causing the channels to not match up with the guide. if i manually go in and hide the channels that have been removed, the streams match up again.

edit: nevermind, i figured out what was going wrong. i had added the missing channel to one of my other lists.

has anyone figured out how to get telly channels to show up in the web guide? they show up in the guide on all apps, but not the web UI...

Is it set to favourites view/selection, but no favourites set?

Not had that problem I’m afraid.

Mine just automatically show in the web guide.

i'm wondering if it's because there's no guide data associated (since it's my own 24/7 channels). can the devs comment on that?

Map a random channels guide and see if it then appears? Then you'd have your answer.

fair point. that did not resolve it.

so, is there no way to bring in the xml guide form the ip service? is that only available to Australian users? mapping channels manually is a pain.

i'm having the same issue lately...have we found a solution for this?

Did you try the below?

EDIT: Oh, you run the docker version? Re-reading above. Presumably just rebuild the docker container, to make sure it is using the latest commits from about a week ago (assuming it checks out the branch from github?)

i did do the rebuild (docker hub says it was updated 6 days ago)...still having buffering issues.

also, i should mention the buffering issues i'm having are similar to the ones i've posted about here:

if i just skip back a few times to get a little bit behind live, the stream will usually play uninterrupted for the rest of the time i have that channel tuned. if it tries to stay live, eventually it runs out of buffer and has to stop for a few seconds...