Channels DVR + Xteve / Telly

Yeah I am using Directtv guide also but some channel guide info are not available there. Just stinks the telly guide info is not pulling over.

Yes that would be the ideal thing

So instead redownloqd guide whole database must be recreated.
But your solution worked only because you used the internal guide channels provide.
Non-US countries are out of luck, how typical :frowning:
Channels should hire someone responsible for UX

I'm trying to get Telly 1.5 running in Docker (Container Station Qnap) and it keeps crashing giving me an error of database not found, on startup. So I can't even get this started to configure the database. Any ideas?

How did you do it? Mine is stuck also, when I click the trashcan icon it deletes the entire Telly source. I add it back and its the same guide all over again, the only way I got it to work was to restore an old database but that wipes out everything, so I'm not doing that again. When I click the trashcan on my hdhomerun device it allows me to pick a different guide but not on this Telly guide.

I don't know about Docker but on windows it hangs on first time startup. Than in browser goto x.x.x.x:6077

The web interface creates the telly.db in the startup directory.

When it hangs in docker it kills the docker session so its not running to be able to run the web interface.

What I have also noticed with Telly 1.1 and Channels, is that if you hide channels, once the guide or database updates all your channels are not hidden anymore, any ideas?

How do you get xteve imported into Channels DVR?

1 Like

imx, out of interest what Sat>IP box are you using with TVHeadEnd ?

Megasat 3 - allows me to drive a quad LNB as a Quattro LNB, so can record/play 8 MUX at once (this could be 20+ channels, providing they’re on no more than 8 MUX, because of the way TVHeadend allocates/reuses tuners)

I really like having TVHeadend in the mix, what it does it does really well. Ideal setup would be for Channels to support TVHeadEnd as a tuner, rather than native Sat>IP support... although won’t be for everyone.

Have been running this for about 6 months now, pretty much zero issues.

is XMLTV enabled now outside of australia? if not, why not? is there any reason this can't just be turned on for everyone so those of us who know what they're doing can add our own channels with our own guide info?

Thanks! Unfortunately I don’t think you can buy the mega stream 3 any more even on eBay... Do you know if an Elgato Netstream would do the job or any alternatives?

Pass - I bought this one back in 2016 and it's been sat in the attic ever since, not used any others I'm afraid :slight_smile:

1 Like

Probably because they're keen to avoid being Kodi-with-advanced-recording-epg-abilities-Mk2?

That, and as a small team, it impacts such a minute amount of users that they'd better spend their time on things like an EPG clock, or updated Apps... that would certainly get my vote for them spending their time on.

Probably because they're keen to avoid being Kodi-with-advanced-recording-epg-abilities-Mk2?

this is the part that annoys me, though: there are plenty of valid use cases for being able to use your own EPG that don't have anything to do with recording illegal IPTV. example (and the reason i want it): i run my own channels with the series i've ripped from DVD / blu ray playing on loop. i have EPG to tell me what episode is on at any given time, and i can't use channels to see it. i can use channels to load the channels via telly, but the EPG won't load so the channels are pretty much useless.

That, and as a small team, it impacts such a minute amount of users that they'd better spend their time on things like an EPG clock, or updated Apps... that would certainly get my vote for them spending their time on.

that doesn't really make sense, though, given that it's already available in australia. the ability to specify your own EPG is already in the code base, they just don't have it enabled for anywhere outside of australia for some reason.

You're right, that is a benign use for a self-provided guide. However, that is also a use-case that is so far from the stated purpose of the software that support for it will most likely never happen.

If facilitating a guide for your use-case is a necessity for your frontend client, then Channels is obviously not for you. (Especially since you are trying to integrate your already existing backend into Channels' own and separate backend.) If integration is necessary, I can provide you 3 separate options that seem to offer what you are looking for available now:

1. You can use Plex's Live TV integration and supply your own playlist of streams and EPG. While Plex does seem to only support a single XMLTV file for guide data, there exist several tools that can merge multiple files into one.
  2. You can use something like Tvheadend as your backend, which supports multiple EPG sources concurrently, and then use something like Kodi for your frontend client.
  3. DVBlast coupled with multicat; since what you seem to be wanting to do is most like multicast broadcasting.

I'm sure there are other ways to achieve your goals, but those are the three which immediately popped into my head. I can understand wanting to use Channels' frontend client for your needs, as I made a similar change from my old DVR backend/frontend. However, I understood the trade-offs involved and features I would be losing when I switched. Perhaps you need to re-evaluate which features are necessary for your use cases, and then choose a backend/frontend that satisfies all your needs.

Remember, Channels' primary focus is to provide a frontend to consuming live broadcast TV. The Channels DVR's primary focus is to facilitate recording and playback of live broadcast TV that it recorded.

3 Likes

Emby would also be an option. It has direct support for multiple m3u, HDHR and supports xteve and telly. Also multiple epg support and clients for most platforms.

Not as good as channels. Nothing I've looked at is as responsive as channels dvr, but for what you are trying to do it's an option.

You have xteve working with Channels DVR? I have xteve working with Plex but can't seem to get it to play anything through Channels DVR. I've tried many ffmpeg flags but nothing has worked so far.

none of those options accomplish what i want, which is to have one interface for everything (locast, tve, and my existing channels). channels is the only interface that can do locast and tve together. locast recording alone is the primary reason i subscribed to channels to begin with, TVE was a bonus.

channels dvr CAN do what i want, if i don't mind not having a guide for my own custom channels. and it also seems that channels dvr CAN use a self provided guide, so it's not like i'm asking for something to be added to the software that isn't already there...i'm just asking for it to be turned on for those of us that want to use it.

You're right, that is a benign use for a self-provided guide. However, that is also a use-case that is so far from the stated purpose of the software that support for it will most likely never happen.

Remember, Channels' primary focus is to provide a frontend to consuming live broadcast TV. The Channels DVR's primary focus is to facilitate recording and playback of live broadcast TV that it recorded .

the word "broadcast" is not present anywhere on neither the channels dvr server nor channels plus pages. if you're going to use broadcast as the "primary focus" based solely on the fact that it intends to record from a hdhomerun, then neither locast nor TVE should be available either.

i thought the primary focus of channels was to have one interface for all of your live TV sources, whether that be hdhomerun (for cable), locast, tve, or any other IPTV source (via telly)...or some combination thereof. even if i'm wrong there, i wasn't aware that there was a rule that said no additional features can ever be added outside of the "primary focus," especially given that there are plenty of additional features beyond that focus that have already been added.

again, i'm not even asking for an additional feature to be added here. i'm just asking for a feature that already exists to be enabled for use by those of us who DO have a valid use case. that's the part that confuses and bothers me.