Channels for Roku?

Sounds like a mode that supports mpeg2

UK content is mpeg2 for SD and h.264 for HD. Both work well and deinterlace correctly.

meawhile, you've all made me rethink my streaming life choices. buying myself an Nvidia shield today to play with it and figure out if it's the right fit for me.

1 Like

If you are not tied to the Android ecosystem, or plan on doing much Android gaming on the TV, you may want to look more closely at an Apple TV. I find that things tend to work better overall. And if you are using it for Channels, new features are always delivered first to Apple clients.

(While price is usually a consideration when choosing a streaming device, the Shield and Apple TV are competitively priced to one another, obviating that distinction.)

1 Like

I did the same last summer, Roku just can't handle timeshifting. Plex and Emby are useless for timeshifting also, and I consider it a must-have feature for watching sports.

I have RokuTVs that can decode mpeg2.

I would love to see channelsDVR come on over. I also use Philo and see the integration. I would love to use it.

When it comes to Philo does it record locally or does it just trigger Philo to record to their cloud?

Neither.

Channels DVR uses the network web site to stream live TV and record live TV. Philio is not used, just your login credentials.

Ah ok. Cool. That is great to hear. I hope they can eventually come to the Roku. I know they're not the fastest, but work with HDHomeRun alright.

Does your Roku work OK with the HDHomeRun app? My TCL Roku TV consistently stopped playing mid-stream whenever I was watching anything from the HDHomeRun. I was lucky if it would play more than 5 minutes without it stopping. I thought maybe it was a network issue, but an Android TV dongle attached to the same TV had no such problems. This was a few months ago - haven't tried the Roku interface since.

My HDHomeRun actually just died on me, but yes when it was working I had no problems. It worked with the HDHR App, Plex, and JellyFin. I didn't have Plex set to transcode tho since the mpeg2 is quite large when using Wifi on the other side of my house.

You might want to checked the wall wart power supply. I had both a DUAL and a DUO die. In both cases, it was just the 5 volt power supply. Ordered replacement PSs and all is well.

I had the roku ultra and tlc roku tv. Each device had the same issue buffering and eventually the stream would stop. Plex was even worse, Emby worked the best but still had issues. I replaced these with the Shield and have not had a problem.

I just started using ChannelsDVR, setting it up on a Pi 4. Decided to try this beta and it works just fine on my two Roku Streaming Stick +'s (4K). I haven't tried it on other Roku's. But I'm curious why this isn't supported? Just limit it to working on the higher end Roku's instead of all of them, which I know is possible because the Netflix app stopped working on my older Roku's quite awhile ago, so I replaced them. I still have some lower end Roku's on older TVs in the house, but if I couldn't do ChannelsDVR app there, I really wouldn't care... Add my vote to bringing this back as a supported app and platform! Even if it just does the "Live, Up Next, and Movies" sections as the existing beta version.

Roku is a horrible platform to develop for, requires using their feature/quality deficient media player, requires using their own custom programming environment BrightScript (or whatever they call it now), and runs on barely capable hardware.

Channels is better off not reducing the software to run on this poor platform.

2 Likes

Thing is the Channels Beta app on Roku for me (Roku Ultra connected via Cat5e cable) works fine.

I understand its hard to code on, but remember Roku (much like Nvidia) are on some of the top ETF’s, so if you follow the money, I personally would never shun away from it. I have a feeling the we are just seeing the innovation coming out of Roku.

I think the Roku app finally met its doom. After my latest server update I can no longer use my roku app :frowning:

Yea...no.

As recent news shows, Roku is terrible platform and terrible company.,
Now you can't even use it for YouTube/YouTube TV cause they pulled those apps from their platform. So any one who buys one or trys to setup one up, is out of luck and can't use one of the most popular services there is.
Sucks to be Roku users right now.

Incorrect. Only the YouTube TV was pulled from the store. YouTube still remains available; its carriage agreement doesn't expire until December.

Roku is fine for playing/pausing/rewinding/ff of already recorded streams. It's useless for timeshifting while the recording is still being made. That's the huge difference that makes it not a PVR or DVR. We could do this back in the 80's with VHS and Betamax.

I can and I would. I do not use MS-Windows. I do not like MS-Windows. I would not develop for MS-Windows.

Period.

If I developed a package for Unix/Linux/MacOS that somebody wanted to port to MS-Win, they were willing to sign the necessary NDAs, etc., and give me a piece of the action, I'd be more than happy to work out an agreement to facilitate their doing so. But I, personally, will have nothing to do with MS-Windows.

(Actually, I once had a freeware thing I developed to which somebody wanted me to make changes to accomodate a port to MS-Windows. I refused.)

IOW: They're the Bose of the streaming world? :wink:

Where's their incentive?

Again: Bose. Despite literally decades of criticism of the sound their speakers and speaker systems produce, they keep producing the same thing. The stuff keeps selling, so why not?

Probably fifteen years ago or so my wife and I were at a home theater place looking at in-wall speakers. Guy demos this one set. I shuddered and said "Not Bose." He looked at me, obviously suprised. "How did you know those were Bose?" "Poorly-controlled bass, brassy midrange, screechy highs. Bose." (N.B.: My hearing is no longer good enough to discern such nuances, so I'd proably be perfectly happy with Bose these days.)

MS-Windows: Same thing. The most exploitable, thus most exploited general-purpose operating system there ever was. Also, arguably, the most maintenance-intensive, least reliable, and least capable. Still the most popular, despite those flaws.

All Roku has to do is keep advertising and remain economical, and they'll maintain their market presence. Most consumers don't know the difference, don't care to know the difference, and wouldn't care even if they did.

1 Like