Channels for Roku?

Pretty much same thing, or will be eventually. Google has been working to unify their app.
Only a matter of time before the YouTube app itself is pulled by Roku.
Same crap and bickering that resulted in Amazon devices not having many Google apps and services for quite some time.

But at least, users can still cast to a Ruku from their phones i surmise.

I stopped using the youTube app entirely cause I was sick of all the nag pop ups to sign up for YT TV, TY Music etc. I use 3rd party app, YouTube Vanced. If i want to watch a YT vid on my Shield or large screen, i can cast if from my phone, though, most times, i download it in full quality and play it locally via MPV...far better quality than streaming via the YT player, or casting, but that is just my preference.

Either way, Roku still sucks.

1 Like

And it still works for those who already have the YTTV app on their Rokus. For now, at least.

Still, if I was a Roku user, this news wouldn't sit well with me, regardless.

I personally like roku. I like their streaming channel as I do watch some shows on it. I think the box is affordable & most importantly they keep their politics out of everything. Now the part I hope they change is allowing custom players which I think is what stops cdvr from developing on it. I use emby & I see the difference in using fire TV & roku so I wish that could change. As far as youtube tv..... could care less as I would never subscribe to them even if it were free. I do like to try & stay in 1 app & I know that's impossible but if I could, i would use a small nuc pc as streaming devices for all my tvs but that's not going to happen any time soon.

I doubt they ever will. Their hardware devices are quite low end, and unless they up the specs, most third party players would struggle to work.
Emby and Channels use the same backend player, MPV, each customized to their own product.

I do recall, the short time i first dove into Streaming devices, got a Roku Premier, or something, their top end device to use Emby with.
Has severe issues. Locked hdhr tuners, and was told by the Emby devs that it was impossible to fix due to the Roku limitations and they received no response or help from Roku to get their product to work on their platform. Emby forced to use the player backend on the Roku, and not MPV, as they do with all other devices, was told the devs had little to no desire to further work on the app, and at that time, I was told they stopped work on it, as they literaly could no longer do anything more with it. That thread still exists on their forms.

1 Like

Emby still develops for roku, but it's much more polished on android & fire tv. Even the version on apple is not as feature rich as the android/fire TV version. For me, I just HATE the fire TV u.i. I'm still waiting for the new u.i update on my toshiba fire TV, but from what I read, they still have tons of crap on the interface. So I really hope roku gets it together.

See...what i tell you. YTTV is in the normal YT app.

Honestly, never made much sense to me to have 2 separate apps in the first place.
Makes senses to unifi both, same platform, same content, in one app.
No reason why you cant have normal YT and YTTV selectable just inone app.

That is pretty slick lol ... now Roku has a choice to make to youtube or not.

That's a logic fallacy. Because MS-Windows was the most popular OS, more resources were historically put towards exploiting it. Linux and Apple were "safer" because most exploiters did not bother. As Android and Apple have proliferated through phones and tablets around the world, the exploiters have turned their efforts towards them and now those are becoming more exploitable than Windows desktop. Anyone with the skills can break and exploit anything with enough time and resources; it just has to be worth their time and effort to do it.

FYI, I'm not trying to sell you on Windows and MS. Please like and use whatever OS and software you like! I won't even do the comparison of which OS in my house that I find needs more maintenance, is less reliable, and is less capable :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

No, it is not a logical fallacy because it demonstrably was, and, to a degree, remains true to this day. MS-Windows' biggest problem, far-and-away, was all users running with Admin privileges. Even when they finally addressed this in MS-Win7, they gave users an easy way to override it--which, trust me, most did. (Because, you know, the O/S asking "Are you sure this is a good idea?" is an annoyance.) The problem was exacerbated by the fact that, even as late as MS-WinXP, when there was finally a clear delineation between administrators and users, many of the apps were so-poorly designed they had to be run with Admin rights. (Some of those were Microsoft's own apps, too.)

Yes, it is true: MS-Win was also most-exploited because it was the most popular. But it was also most-exploited because it was the most-easily exploitable.

Tell me: Does MS-Win10 still allow users to dial UAC down to "zero"?

*nix' (Unix, Linux, the various BSDs, Mac OS X) are also safer because they are an inherently safer design.

And, of the two, which would you guess is referred to by many as "the new MS-Windows?" (Not as a reflection of its popularity nor as a complement, either.)

That is demonstrably false. For example: Years ago there was a guy who put a BSD system out on the 'net. An OpenBSD system, I think it was. He challenged the world to break it or break into it. There may have been a reward, but systems crackers don't need no steenking awards. I'm not 100% certain, but I do not recall of seeing, hearing, or reading that the system had ever been compromised. (To this day, OpenBSD retains the reputation of being the most secure general purpose operating system available.)

I've had servers, too many to count over the years, on the Internet since the 'net became commercially accessible. I've so far (knock on wood) yet to have had one compromised of which I'm aware. And if you don't think the bad guys have been taking shots at them, I've got gigabytes of logs to prove otherwise :wink:

Nobody in their right mind exposes an MS-Windows machine, desktop or server, to the Internet without some sort of firewalling. Unix and Linux systems perform as firewalls.

In your house... that's precious :slight_smile:

1 Like

Now this thread is windows vs linux...?

Channels is never going to make a proper Roku app. they already stated that.

1 Like

Soon it will become MaryAnn or Ginger ...

1 Like

Oooh my votes for MaryAnn :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Closing this thread because it’s now boring.

7 Likes