Channels HTTP API

@maddox Just curious if there any plans to enhance the Home Assistant integration? It looks like it currently only has a small subset of the available API calls.

Just because this is sort of contextual: Siri Shortcut support has been added to the latest TestFlight Beta. You can use these to launch things on other clients, so gone are the super complicated Shortcuts using the API manually :tada:

More here:

2 Likes

Hi there, I'm just checking in and am curious if getting the api turned on to tablet clients is still being considered or if it's unlikely to happen at this point?

1 Like

There’s still no plans at the moment.

Does the toggle_pip still work:

I am on 201.22.2023 android shield

All I get is 'Not Found' when posting the toggle_pip command.
Other commands seem to work

Any ideas?

Added in latest beta

Thank you, working now in latest beta I have.

Thanks again...
Not to be a pest, but I will be using this api in a new plugin for Eventghost.
Would love to have just a bit more functionality (in order of desirability):

-api call to set and get (in /api/status?) the current playback speed.
-obtain Current PIP status (in /api/status?) and / or at least Descrete pip_on pip_off api calls
-if obtaining current PIP status not possible or no discrete pip on / off, then enhancing the /api/navigate/{section_name} to respect the current PIP setting: Automatic Picture in Picture -> Everything
-obtain Current CC status (in /api/status?) and / or at least Discrete cc_on cc_off api calls

2 Likes

Does /api/notify have a parameter to control the display duration? I find the default five second duration to be extremely short. If you send a notification in response to a channel change, seems like the duration is often reduced further presumably due to the client UI adjusting to the channel change.

1 Like

Kind of hacky, but found that delaying notification for five seconds after a channel change gives the client time to finish tuning, update its UI, etc. such that notifications will display for the full five seconds. Turns out you can send a sequence of the same notifications to extend the display time. To display for ten seconds, I send six notification events one second apart. Notifications two through six essentially interrupt the prior notification and reset the display timer (and the final notification lasts the full five seconds). Not elegant, but gets the job done.

1 Like

@maddox Hi Jon,just wondering if there was any progress on the homebridge plugin?

Thanks

We won’t be creating and maintaining a homebridge accessory for Channels.

We’d be happy to help or contribute to something the community decides to make though.

1 Like

Would like to request a HTTP POST API

/api/navigate/{section_name} - a Quick Guide toggle would be really useful.

plus

PIP disable (over the toggle) would be greatly appreciated for my home automation.

Thanks

1 Like

Could I add another API request please!

Channel button presses 0-9?

Thanks

Why emulate button presses when you can go directly to a channel: POST /api/play/channel/###

1 Like

That's great but my remote doesn't have as many buttons as channels.

Then perhaps you can clarify what it is exactly that you're trying to achieve, because it appears I have no idea what you're actually asking for.

2 Likes

I have a remote and I'd like to map the number buttons to Channels so I can type a tv channel number in, what else would one use that for? Are you a developer?

The clients already handle the number key presses; the API is not needed for that. Just program your remote to send the appropriate key:

My remote connects via a home automation system and IP HTTP commands is the only way I can program 'extra' remote commands, so I appreciate your suggestion but it's not suitable on this occasion.

This is the sort of hack needed for proper cord cutting and it's not super easy to please all customers I'm sure.