Channels restarts while watching TV

The last couple days I've been having an issue with Channels crashing and restarting in the middle of playback of live TV as well as recordings on a Firestick 4K. The video and audio briefly freeze, the screen blanks and it goes straight to the startup "Preparing your TV" screen. A specific channel seems to be doing it mostly, but I noticed it once on a different channel today. Last night watching Colbert, it crashed about every two minutes of playback.

I'm watching away from home and using original quality/not transcoding. Both ends are on symmetrical gigabit fiber ISP's. The server is pointed to an HDHR on a clear-QAM cable system. The HDHR reports 100% on all three signal metrics. Could this be Channels reacting badly to MPEG2 glitches?

I noticed this started happening right after upgrading to 4.1.0, though it could be coincidental. I've submitted diagnostics.

Any ideas?

Try the beta app via Settings > Support > Install Beta

Just installed beta. It just did it as well :confused:

Submitted diagnostics from there too.

Does switching Settings > Playback > Advanced > Video Decoder help?

Gave it a try; switched from hardware to software decoding. It just did it again, but I noticed in the beta, it isn't crashing all the way out to the start screen, just back to the recordings list (even when hardware decoding was used).

Now the beta is crashing all the way out, guess that wasn't different :upside_down_face: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Another data point...

Tried turning on transcoding, and was able to watch the second half of the program without issue. It's a short term fix, but I would prefer to stay out of the transcoder if possible for better picture quality.

@tmm1 It looks like the 4.1.3 update fixed it. I've been using it for a day and it has been rock solid. Thanks guys! That's one of the many things I love about the Channels ecosystem...bugs get fixed quick!

2 Likes