Choppy playback on TiVo stream / Android tv

I'm having this issue on my CCGTV. I've tried reinstalling the app, installing the beta app, clearing cache, rebooting, using software decoder, etc. The only way I can get smooth playback of my recordings (all ATSC 1.0) is if I disable surround sound within the Channels app.

What's your surround sound setting in the channels app & system level. Since I turned on surround sound in the system & turned it off in the channels app its been solid for me.

It's been a bit since I had a chance to play with this and respond. Surround sound is off in the channels app and doesn't make a difference. I'm still having to reinstall the app every day that I want to use the Channels DVR. It's making it fairly unusable at this point.

What about system level?

Settings -> Device Preferences -> Sound - Select formats?

Do you have Auto | None || Manual selected?

I turned it to None at one point and that was causing me lots of problems. I switched it back to auto & haven't had an issue since.

Same, I have mine set to auto

@tmm1 I submitted my logs again in case that’s helpful. This is still happening even after a factory reset so I’m not sure what my other options are.

Please try updating Channels app to v3.2.0 from the Play store

Thanks. I've updated it just now, I'll keep you posted.

1 Like

Like before, it was good for a few hours, but this morning it started to have issues again. The choppiness is significantly improved, but there is still lag and the the audio is off from the video by maybe 1/10 second or so.

What I notice is when I first switch to a live channel it stutters a bit at the beginning like it’s trying to get synced up and then from that point forward it doesn’t ever really recover. This is very similar to what it was doing before where it would stutter when it would first load a channel and then it would just stay choppy. I tried changing channels and then changing back to see if that made any difference but it doesn’t seem to have any sort of effect.

The same thing seems to be happening on recorded shows as well as live TV. I went ahead and submitted logs again in case that’s helpful this morning.

I'm seeing the same type of issues with my TS4K.

I'm struggling to reproduce this.

My TS4K under settings shows Build PI.5256 and TiVo SW Version V9.0-5.0.23

Is it the same for you?

What steps can I take after rebooting the device to cause the issue to occur?

That's what mine shows as well. It's very random on my TS4k. Sometimes it starts immediately after restarting the device and sometimes it takes a bit. I can't seem to nail down a pattern. That's what makes it so frustrating for me.

I used to have this problem using my TS4K as a client streaming from the server in my Shield. The choppy playback issue has not happened for over a week. I don't know if the new v3.2.0 update has anything to do with it. But this is what I did and the problem went away.

I expanded the memory using an SD card. But instead of setting up the external SD card as external memory where it would be convenient to move your recordings easily, I set it up as part of the memory of the TS4K. I basically traded the convenience of movable recordings for the ability to download way more apps.

Next, I set up a separate DVR server in the TS4K and the TS4K client is now streaming from the TS4K's DVR server instead of the Shield's. I then made sure that both the client & DVR server apps in the TS4K are stored in the internal memory of the TS4K & NOT the external memory. That seemed to have stopped the choppy playback problem.

It might not be feasible for you to do all the above but in my case it has worked. At least so far anyway.

Could you please submit diagnostics next time it breaks, via Settings > Support > Submit Diagnostics > Video Player in the app. Then after you fix it by rebooting or whatever, submit diagnostics again after playing back for 10-15s.

I’m running the same build as your TiVo stream 4K. Also the kernel build is 4.9.113 and it’s a Version 9 if that’s helpful.

I just submitted diagnostics. I’m trying to get it to work and not work but it seems to not respond to the “delete and reinstall” solution that was working before with the previous version. It always has the lag now. I’m gonna keep trying and seeing if I can get it to work. If I do, I’ll submit logs and send you a note.

I take it back! I did get it to work. I cleared data and then reinstalled this time and it cleared the lag so I submitted the diagnostics just now for the good experience. Let me know if that helped @tmm1

I just submitted a new log.

Rebooted and it's still doing it. I submitted another log.

I'll try reinstalling too and see what happens.

Try the latest beta

Seems to be working now. Submitted diagnosis. Running beta 104.30.2300

• I uninstalled and reinstalled beta version.