Choppy playback on TiVo stream / Android tv

I used the “install beta” feature in the channels app settings, which I’m hoping is the right way to do what Aman was mentioning. @tmm1 I’ll let you know how it looks tonight when I check again. It looked fine after I installed the beta, but sometimes it takes a few hours to start glitching.

1 Like

Thanks guys, let me know. I'm pretty certain it should be fixed now.

Just to keep everybody else looped in, for me the beta seems to have solved the laggy choppy issue but I’m still having an issue where the video and audio are not synced up and there’s a fraction of a second delay between the two still.

1 Like

On my Sony and my CCGTV it's flawless... Smooth and sync is on point.

Same here. Had the problem occur again today.

I noticed in a week or two ago a lot of video choppiness, both on my Premiere TiVo (a model that is non-Hydra) and on streaming apps, including Channels DVR and on YouTubeTV, on my TV which is a Sony that runs Android TV 9.

The solution I found that fixed it everywhere, including the TiVo, was to go to the Android TV's settings (not the TiVo's settings) and turn MotionFlow all the way off. Settings > Display & Sound > Picture > Motion > set MotionFlow to Off.

You will need to change this setting for each video source to Android TV, meaning that I needed to change it while watching TiVo through a HDMI port on the TV and also change it while watching the Channels app running on the TV.

I'm not sure why this choppiness wasn't happening before. Perhaps an Android TV update was pushed that I didn't notice.

I thought I would follow up on this thread to help close it out from my perspective. I did some troubleshooting with @tmm1, who was very helpful. We tried the beta and some other things, but ultimately it was something that I don't believe they could replicate and they suggested a complete reset of the device. Since I had it happening on two separate units, I could test this as an option on both of them and see if it fixed it for me. I can confirm that factory resetting the units now, does clear the issue for me on both units. I did this before and it did not correct the issue, but for whatever reason, doing this recently did. In addition, it looks like TiVo Stream just put out a fix-it update which fixed the issue with Youtube and some other playback issues. In installed that update as well and I can confirm that Channels works fine after this most recent update for me. So for me, this issue is corrected and I just wanted to say thanks to the Channels team trying to help me solve this and working hard on some options.

4 Likes

Thanks. I hadn't seen this thread but when the exact thing happened to me, the full reset took care of it as well. It was a pain because I had DeTivoed it and had to look up how to do it again but but worked.

Hi all I had this problem on Google tv in Australia, the fix was to change the resolution in the google tv settings to 1080 interlaced 50 hz from 1080 p 60 hz, Australian tv is 50 hz.
By the way love the app