Chromecast 4K's losing guide data

Does anyone else have issues with the guide data disappearing on their Chromecast 4K's using the channels app?

I have previously had: Firesticks, Apple TV's and Shields all in the same physical position on the same network and used in the same way as I'm trying to use Chromecast 4K's and I'm constantly getting the issue guide error: java.net.UnknownHostException: Unable to resolve host "api.hdhomerun.com": No address associated with hostname

I can see this user had the exact same issue but never seemed to get resolved: Guide data empty

I have 5 of these new Chromecast 4K's all with the same issue, as mentioned above I've previously had different devices in the same positions around the house and never had this issue, the other topic seems to suggest DNS issues but that's a bit beyond my networking knowledge if I'm honest.

Has anyone else seen this error or can anyone suggest a fix?

Do other with Chromecast 4K's have no issues with the guide and everything works as it should?

The guide data is available to the official HDhomerun app see attached video https://youtu.be/Ko_0EzcKiys this is what confuses me as I can't see how it can be an DNS network issue when the same device can retrieve the info through another app?

This is what I am constantly left with often guide data is available when starting a program then we you go to change program it's disappeared!

If it can't resolve the host to fetch guide data, then there's something wrong with your home network setup, primarily your DNS settings.

1. Do you use a specialized DNS server or the one provided by your internet provider?
  2. Are you using any sort of ad blocking DNS like PiHole?
  3. Can you load https://api.hdhomerun.com from a browser on another computer?
  1. The one provided by my ISP - As mentioned originally I don'y know enough about DNS to go changing anything, these images show my DNS settings on my router they are just completely default:

1. No

2. Just takes me to HDHomeRun – Silicondust should I be seeing this? I see this screenshot if I go to the ip address of my HDHomerun 192.168.1.20 but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to see if I put https://api.hdhomerun.com/ into the browser

If my home network was blocking the guide would it not cause the same issue in Plex and the official HDHomerun app though as both of those show the guide data perfectly? You can see the guide working correctly in the youtube video above on the HDHomerun app whilst no info on Channels?

Thanks for the help I really want to get this resolved and the Chromecast 4K's work perfectly for me with everything else but the guide not working is causing chaos in the house!

Thanks

Oh I forgot to say a restart on the Chromecast or force closing and opening Channels app ALWAYS fixes the guide data again not sure what that changes about the DNS but the guide data appears and works perfectly for a bit after the app is closed and opened again

Thanks

After a bit of looking I think I've found the bit on my router that relates to the DNS you're talking about, It was actually on Proxy rather than from ISP as I incorrectly stated above (I've never touched these settings previously so had assumed it would be set to from ISP as per default but proxy must be default)

Anyway after a bit of reading other suggested these numbers so I've input and I'll see if this resolves the issue:

I'm still having this problem constantly (you linked my other topic).

Multi devices (now all Google tv, but was also on another Android tv device).

No other signs of internet problems on may other apps.

Been through Android tv version updates.

I have tried through 5g, through my home internet, and also changed internet type (fiber to the node to fibre to the premises) so different routers. No change.

Changed DNA servers no different.

Only way I can fix it is to force kill the app. Which I do through another app on wake. It's not ideal as it doesn't always work but works most of the time. Bit of a hack that I only need to do on this app.

Pete your issue and findings mirror mine exactly. Closing the app makes it work (without changing anything about the network, just force closing and opening the app again)

Again I have no other DNS or internet issues anywhere else on the network, only issues seem to relate to channels

Can the support explain why a DNS issue would only affect channels and not HDhomerun app?

Thanks

1 Like

Hello

Well changing my DNS settings made no difference but before this is written off as a DNS issue, please can you take a quick look at this video as I just don't understand if this was a network issue why channels would do what is shown in this video. This happened across all my TV's this morning.

I open the app and it updated showing me the guide on the channels which are at the top (I thought great the DNS change has worked) when I scroll down all the data starts to disappear, what's even more strange is that the channels at the top has now gone too, the data was literally just there. What really makes me think it's not related to my DNS settings is that a single force close of the app (nothing else as shown in the video) gets all the data back, nothing has changed in my DNS settings in those 30 seconds. Also without force closing or doing anything as per my other video both Plex and HDhomrun apps continue to show the guide data at all times

See video: https://youtu.be/S-3IB2zHdN4

Channels support are you 100% sure this is a DNS issue as I've already had a good go at changing my DNS issues as has Pete for the last 6 months from his other posts

I have submitted diagnostics again this morning

I would really appreciate some help getting this resolved, look forward to hearing from you

Try this build:

1 Like

Is that the DVR app build as I'm only using the live app which is in 4.7.1?

EDIT: Realised I need to join the beta program to test which I've done. Hopefully my devices will update soon unless there's a way to push them quicker?

This sounds promising though! Thanks

See:

1 Like

Thanks. I'll get onto this when I get home this evening and confirm!

Just to confirm this will download the Channels Live version of the app won't it as I don't have the DVR setup

Thanks

Just installed but as mentioned this is for the DVR app rather than just the live app. If you can confirm the code for the live app version I will get testing this straight away. Thanks

1 Like