Constant buffering on Fox News channel

Have you even watched the video I posted earlier in this thread? It shows that when the buffering is complete I can FF minutes to get back live. I can also go back and rewatch that section that buffered and there is no missing video.

If this is true, don't you think that I would have issues with watching DVR Recordings?

Yes. I understand the video appears eventually. So it's buffering somewhere, but not on the client. It's buffered on your NAS or network somewhere because it doesn't make it to the client until several minutes later.

The same issue is happening while recording, but you're not there watching it live so you can't tell that it stalled for 3 minutes and then caught up.

I'll ask differently.

If the DVR records.... the stalling or buffering doesn't happen to the recording because it comes in from the modem to the router then to the switch then to the Shield then thru the Switch on the NAS and stays there.

Once it is recorded and I watch it, My devices are connected to my router so my client asks for the file.... thru the router, to the switch, to the Shield which takes it from the NAS. So from the NAS it goes to the switch then to the Shield then to the switch then to the router then to my client.

My point is.... wouldn't I see the same problems while watching a recorded show on the NAS?

By using a USB HDD all I eliminate is the Ethernet to the NAS. How is that different than it going via USB to the HDD?

My guess is that all your TVE streams are stalling. It doesn't matter if you're watching it or recording. If you checked the file size of the recording you would probably see it stops growing during the stall and then later it catches up. By the time you watch the recording it doesn't matter because the stall happened long ago.

So if this were the case then would you see this on the DVR log? Also when a stream is buffering would I lose parts of the video?

I have a tough time believing the issue is because I'm using the NAS as storage. It's gigabit speed which is much faster than any USB Drive.

It is something that we would like to improve. It isn't strait forward for how we will do it, but hopefully we'll figure out a good way.

I just Enabled SMB v3 on my server and Asynchronous I/O. We'll see if that changes anything.

6 posts were split to a new topic: TVE HGTV constant buffering