Crashing issue on SHIELD (UK H264)

Just installed the app on my Shield TV.

Tuning takes a few seconds to come on, but picture quality was great.

Paused the programme, which worked fine. Pressed play again, and it played back ok for a few seconds then completely crashed.

Do I need to add a HDD to the Shield TV?

Edit : just tried again playing a channel, without pressing pause and the app crashed again. Just gives a Channel is not responding error message.

Oh, and after tuning a channel the OSD stays on screen? I have to press up to dismiss. Should it not time out?

Cheers!

Ok, this is unusable for me on Shield TV - crashes after a few minutes of playback.

I have sent crash logs, so hopefully that will help.

Thanks so much for the reports. We’ll check out the logs an look right into it.

It’s still early days with the Android TV version, but you can be sure we’ll get right on the fixes. Trust that we’ll get things as stable as they are on Apple TV (which has a crash rate of 0.01% across a LOT of users).

As for the timeline, it times out after a couple seconds, it shouldn’t need to be manually dismissed.

I only had 2 hours to request a refund, but rest assured I shall purchase again once working :slight_smile:

Thanks for reporting the issue. We didn’t experience anything like this during our testing.

Can you tell me what kind of hdhomerun and which model shield you’re using? Also could you check to see how much free disk space is available on your shield?

I already checked free space on the Shield TV (16Gb 2017 model) and had 8Gb free.

It’s a HDHomerun Connect.

I’ll purchase it again in the hope that we can get it working, as I quite liked it. One other thing though, it did take a few seconds to tune a channel (about the same as Plex does to play a channel) but I expected it to be quicker given that Plex needs to transcode.

Also, the Shield is connected via gigabit ethernet to a gigabit switch, as is the HDHomerun (although that’s 100Mb obviously)

Cheers :slight_smile:

I purchased it again and reinstalled it.

It still crashes - the picture freezes, and it will allow you to press back button once, and then it just crashes.

I’ve sent crash report again just in case it helps.

I also noticed that the guide is not the right region (should be ITV Granada for instance) and I can’t see anywhere to change it.

I’m currently trying the Channels DVR and that has the correct region for the guide.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist in troubleshooting.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Can you make a quick video of the bug and email to [email protected]

I do see your crash report and have a hunch as to a fix. I’ll send you a beta shortly to try out.

Does the problem happen on non-HD channels too?

You’ll need to email [email protected] with your hdhomerun device id and the incorrect channels so they can fix it.

Hi,

There is nothing to see to video tbh. The picture just freezes. I can press back but then it will just give the app not responding error which is where I sent the crash logs from.

I’m just trying some SD channels. Does it pick up the channels from the DVR backend, even though it doesn’t support the DVR functionality? I ask because the channel list seems to be the same (I had blocked everything except HD channels, and had only favourited a handful of them and the Channels live tv app matches the channel list exactly)

Seems ok so far on SD channels.

Furthermore, the UI does not time out after tuning a channel. You have to dismiss it by pressing up on the remote.

The DVR and the AndroidTV app both sync their favs/hidden lists to the HDHomeRun.

That explains that then :slight_smile:

Why different guides then between the 2? i.e. DVR has correct EPG info. Android TV app has London EPG instead.

There is nowhere to set the region for the guide in the app, but there is in the DVR backend.

What is your setup? Is everything hard wired? I’ve been using the old beta for a while now as well as the new app and haven’t had these issues with my Shield on a strong wireless ac or through ethernet. These guys will get it fixed quickly if its on their end but it could also be an issue with your home network.

Can confirm that SD channel is still working fine, so issue seems isolated to HD.

1 Like

It’s all hard wired. And on decent Ubiquiti kit :slight_smile:

The data comes from different places. For live tv apps it comes from SiliconDust and matches what you would see in their app. If you email them they will fix any errors.

Channels DVR uses its own guide data source which it uses to download 21 days of data.

Okay then it seems to be specific to HD h264 feeds in the UK. Weird because my US h264 cable feeds here are just fine.

Can you use the DVR to make a few minute recording off an HD channel and email it to me.

Ah… well that’s a problem then - as I seem to remember Silicon Dust don’t support regional EPG in the UK :frowning: