Crashing issue on SHIELD (UK H264)

Sure, what email address do you want it sent to?

This is no longer true, and if you email them they will fix it.

[email protected]

You can download the recording below.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AjT-I1LRnpdPgvJ0ohgFEY-ABoCDzg

Oops ignore that email I just sent you guys which should have gone to Silicon Dust :sob:

Iā€™ve run into another issueā€¦ So I am using the DVR backend, but am having to point Plex to the folder and play through Plex since the Android App doesnā€™t support DVR yet.

Tonight there are 2 episodes of Coronation Street - DVR records them both fine (which Plex DVR never did), however Plex thinks they are both the same episode since they are just labelled with the date.

How can I get Plex to recognise them as 2 different episodes so that we can play them both through Plex?

Also, can I be alerted when there is a beta of the Android App which supports the DVR? Iā€™ve suffered badly with Plex DVR so far!!

Cheers :slight_smile:

Sounds like a Plex issueā€¦ thereā€™s two separately recordings on disk with different filenames so I donā€™t know why it is confused.

This is fixed now. Iā€™ve uploaded a new beta which you can upgrade to by opting-in on this page: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.getchannels.app

Let me know if you still have crash/freeze issues with HD channels. A video would be very helpful, as there are a lot of little things on screen that indicate what state the playback code is in when the problem occurs.

Iā€™ve uploaded another new beta build, which is versioned ā€œChannels Beta (11)ā€ on the About tab of the app.

This build should significantly improve tuning speeds.

Iā€™m still not quite sure whatā€™s causing the freeze/crash issue on your HD channels, but this new build also includes some extra logging that should help me narrow things down.

Please let me know how it works for you.

Just got up, and tried the beta build.

The UI now times out like it should.

However, playback is now worse, it freezes, and sound loops.Tune time has not improved. It doesnā€™t actually crash though as far as I can see.

Iā€™ll email a video of what it is doing.

Tried it again, and it did the usual freeze followed by crash.

Have sent new logs.

Cheersā€¦

Huh that looks like video corruption due to bad signal or network congestion.

Does the hdhomerun app work on the shield?

Let me install and check. It did always used to work fine.

Hi,

HDHomerun app works great - no freezing, no crashing. It also tunes channels within 2 seconds too.

Can you double check what version is listed on the About tab of the app.

Channels Beta (11)

Hmmm.

Can you play an SD channel for a minute, then click Submit Diagnostics at the bottom of the Player Settings tab.

Then try the same thing with an HD channel, and see if it is able to exit out of the player when you hit Back once and donā€™t do anything else.

Iā€™m seeing similar on pretty much the same setup. Iā€™m in the UK with a HDHomerun Connect running on a shield TV.

Iā€™m finding the tuning speed to be very similar to plex (around 8-10 seconds) whereas the HDHomerun app takes about 2-3 seconds.

Only played with it for an hour last night, but in that time had 2 freezes with ANRā€™s. One happened to be right at the end of a program so Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s where the resolution or somethings switches.

I know I also suffer from a interference/weak signal when busses go by which causes some breakup on the hdhomerun app but it keeps playing fine. Iā€™m not sure if the other ANR may have been at one of these times.

Iā€™ve also noticed that when I tune to a channel the area where the pause shows on the info bar always keeps spinning until I pause the channel and then play again. (note the channel has tuned and is playing fine, itā€™s just the spinner doesnā€™t go)

Seeking in the stream was a much better experience than plex and the guide seemed better (even though they are both coming from gracenotes as I understand).

1 Like

I donā€™t have any signal issues. Itā€™s a new external antenna professionally aligned with a signal strength meter.

The crashes donā€™t appear related to resolution changes as they happen mid programme.

Iā€™m out at the moment, but iā€™ll sort the other stuff when I get back in half an hour or so.

By the way, in case it is relevant, iā€™m Running firmware 6.3 on my Shield TV which I think is still in preview.

Edit: never mind, seems it went to release end of last month.

Diagnostics sent.

It didnā€™t crash on the HD channel this time, just broke up and looped like in the video I sent you.

1 Like

Iā€™m uploading build 12 which should fix tuning time.

Iā€™m still trying to figure out whatā€™s going with the playback corruption. It appears to be an issue with the audioā€¦ SD channels use mp2 but HD channels use aac. Weird because it works just fine on our Apple TV app.

If youā€™re able to reproduce playback issues on HD channels again without a crash, please submit diagnostics again.